Errors/Warnings/Bugs

Announcements, comments, ideas, feedback, and "How do I... ?" questions
euler
Administrator

Re: Errors/Warnings/Bugs

Post by euler »

amonakov wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 7:50 am Yesterday I was in first ten to solve problem 750, but only got "On the Ball" without "Chart Topper" and "One in a Hundred".
Your account was unlisted yesterday and those awards are earned for appearing in the tables at the time of solving. Unfortunately it cannot be earned automatically now that you've listed yourself, but I can add it in manually if you want.
impudens simia et macrologus profundus fabulae
amonakov

Post by amonakov »

euler wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 8:45 am
amonakov wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 7:50 am Yesterday I was in first ten to solve problem 750, but only got "On the Ball" without "Chart Topper" and "One in a Hundred".
Your account was unlisted yesterday and those awards are earned for appearing in the tables at the time of solving. Unfortunately it cannot be earned automatically now that you've listed yourself, but I can add it in manually if you want.
Yes please, I'd probably list myself prior to solving had I known that.
euler
Administrator

Post by euler »

I've just modified the scripts so that if you visit the fastest solvers table where you appear, your account is public, and you have not already been given the respective positional awards, then it should automatically award them to you. It won't say anything on the fastest solver table page, but if you visit the awards section of your progress page it should appear.

Could you confirm that it has worked and hasn't caused any unintended consequences?
amonakov

Post by amonakov »

euler wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:13 pm Could you confirm that it has worked and hasn't caused any unintended consequences?
It worked, thank you! Don't see any fallout either.
euler
Administrator

Post by euler »

Thank you for confirming.
SaxTenor

Post by SaxTenor »

The link "Active members only" on the Statistics tab looks broken. It directs me to PE Main page.
reinermartin

Post by reinermartin »

I realized today that the Archived Problems page seem to have no feature anymore to display all problems of the selected type of problems (such as all unsolved problems) on one page anymore (not just a table of links). Am I missing something? Was this useful feature really removed?
euler
Administrator

Post by euler »

Yes, a decision was made to remove that feature because the problem set has grown too large and it's only going to get larger. The text alone is just below 1MB in size and with images it is significantly larger.

Pinning problems is a far better way to group together problems that you are interested in, and it is still possible to view all your pinned problems on one page.

You may not be aware of this, but if you are looking for a particular problem, then there is a search icon in the top right corner of each page. This will perform a Google search for the terms on Project Euler website, which is a very efficient to find keywords that appear in the problem text.
reinermartin

Post by reinermartin »

Oh, real pity! I did like it a lot, as I liked to look over all unsolved problems directly to decide which one to tackle next, not looking for a particular problem. But I guess I am a minority use case.

Was it causing problems? By displaying 20 at a time these could probably have been avoided. Anyway, I reckon it is too late.

Pinning is a nice feature, but since it is limited to 10 problems it doesn't help for this particular use case.

I guess I just write a script for myself to do this.
Waldovski

Post by Waldovski »

reinermartin wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:24 pm Oh, real pity! I did like it a lot, as I liked to look over all unsolved problems directly to decide which one to tackle next, not looking for a particular problem. But I guess I am a minority use case.

Was it causing problems? By displaying 20 at a time these could probably have been avoided. Anyway, I reckon it is too late.

Pinning is a nice feature, but since it is limited to 10 problems it doesn't help for this particular use case.

I guess I just write a script for myself to do this.
I second this sentiment. There's something a little more eye-opening about seeing all problems in one place. I personally would make a fresh pdf every so often of the (tons of) unsolved problems I have, print it into small A5-sized booklets and flip through them on long walks in the hope of an epiphany or two. I'm glad I made a new copy just a few days ago.
reinermartin

Post by reinermartin »

Waldovski wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:04 am I second this sentiment. There's something a little more eye-opening about seeing all problems in one place. I personally would make a fresh pdf every so often of the (tons of) unsolved problems I have, print it into small A5-sized booklets and flip through them on long walks in the hope of an epiphany or two. I'm glad I made a new copy just a few days ago.
I used to do a similar thing myself, printing out unsolved problems for travel, for example.

The disappearance of this feature bothered my so much that I wrote a small script in Julia which generates an HTML page which has all unsolved problems, as the old feature did. Uses original style sheet, so looks really the same. Let me know if you are interested.
euler
Administrator

Post by euler »

I am sorry to hear that some of you are going to miss that feature, but as I mentioned it was generating far too much data.

I have increased the pinned problems limit to 25, which should be useful. Also, as a final gift I have uploaded a PDF for the entire current problem set: 1-751.
https://projecteuler.info/Project Euler ... 1-751.pdf
reinermartin

Post by reinermartin »

Thanks euler, having a 25 limit on pinning is indeed very useful, much appreciated.
jonado1

Post by jonado1 »

I just noticed that the information over fastest solvers for a particular problem is displayed incorrectly whenever someone who has solved it in more than one week but less than two weeks enters the scoreboard, i.e. this occurs whenever less than 100 people have solved the problem within a week. What happens is that the counter for number of days is not reset when entering the second week, so an entry corresponding to day eight after the problem was released will display as 1 week, 7 days, x hours, where it should be displayed as 1 week, x hours, etc.

This counter does not reset until the end of the second week, see e.g. https://projecteuler.net/fastest=747 for an example.
euler
Administrator

Post by euler »

Great catch! Thanks for reporting. It should be fixed now, but keep in mind that the caches won't update immediately. I've manually re-cached #747 (the example you gave) to show the corrected version.
SaxTenor

Post by SaxTenor »

I like to view the statistics of active members only (i.e. only those active within the last 12 months). However, the "Show active members only" link on the Statistics Tab redirects us to the PE Main page.
euler
Administrator

Post by euler »

Thanks for reporting it. It should be fixed now.
user202729

Post by user202729 »

Not really an error, but whenever a new problem is published, the server hangs for a minute. (at least on that new problem page)

Is someone DDoS 'ing the server, or is it just that the code is doing something time-consuming, or not used to handling such a large volume of users (how large can it be? I think no more than 1000?)

Sometimes I get an "internal server error" page too.
euler
Administrator

Post by euler »

This is the first I am hearing about this. How recently have you seen this behaviour? Is it the whole website that seems to struggle or just viewing the latest problem?
Silverhawke

Post by Silverhawke »

this is more like a clarification question, but how does the "most recent" related awards work, exactly?
i have On the Ball but zero progress on the rest (High Five/Ten out of Ten/State of the Art).