Problem 761

A place to air possible concerns or difficulties in understanding ProjectEuler problems. This forum is not meant to publish solutions. This forum is NOT meant to discuss solution methods or giving hints how a problem can be solved.
Forum rules
As your posts will be visible to the general public you
are requested to be thoughtful in not posting anything
that might explicitly give away how to solve a particular problem.

This forum is NOT meant to discuss solution methods for a problem.

In particular don't post any code fragments or results.

Don't start begging others to give partial answers to problems

Don't ask for hints how to solve a problem

Don't start a new topic for a problem if there already exists one

See also the topics:
Don't post any spoilers
Comments, questions and clarifications about PE problems.
david-kerr

Problem 761

Post by david-kerr »

This problem is driving me up the walls. I fairly easily got 4.60339314 for the circular pool (which is correct) but the same strategy gives 5.90143057 for the square pool. Can someone please confirm that the figure given in the problem for the square pool is correct.
brob26

Re: Problem 761

Post by brob26 »

david-kerr wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 8:41 pm This problem is driving me up the walls. I fairly easily got 4.60339314 for the circular pool (which is correct) but the same strategy gives 5.90143057 for the square pool. Can someone please confirm that the figure given in the problem for the square pool is correct.
What exactly do you mean by the "same strategy" between the circle and square cases? It'll likely be valuable to figure out why your supposed solution for the square pool does not actually work.
david-kerr

Post by david-kerr »

I think I have spotted my stupidity. An improved strategy for the runner.
Kaladin1

Post by Kaladin1 »

I've had a similar problem, but I got a strategy that appears to work for any v<5.82842 (3+sqrt(8)) for the square pool.

The strategy accounts for any actions by the runner, and I'm really struggling to find any errors in my reasoning. Are we sure that vsquare is 5.78859314.
Kaladin1

Post by Kaladin1 »

Nevermind, I have seen my mistake.