Idea for new Archives display filter

Announcements, comments, ideas, feedback, and "How do I... ?" questions
philiplu

Idea for new Archives display filter

Post by philiplu »

You can currently filter the archives by All/Solved/Unsolved/Pinned. Any chance of adding a filter for problems which have a new forum post within the past day? You can already see those in the past day by the coloring, but it would be nice to collect them all tightly, rather than looking through 15 pages of archives.

Actually, probably better to have two filters, one for new post in the past day, another for past week.
jaap

Re: Idea for new Archives display filter

Post by jaap »

philiplu wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 10:35 pm You can currently filter the archives by All/Solved/Unsolved/Pinned. Any chance of adding a filter for problems which have a new forum post within the past day? You can already see those in the past day by the coloring, but it would be nice to collect them all tightly, rather than looking through 15 pages of archives.

Actually, probably better to have two filters, one for new post in the past day, another for past week.
Instead of cluttering things up with two more filters, a good alternative would be to allow you to sort the list by date of most recent post.
philiplu

Post by philiplu »

jaap wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 8:57 am Instead of cluttering things up with two more filters, a good alternative would be to allow you to sort the list by date of most recent post.
Yes, that's a much better idea than mine. That would do nicely.
fakesson

Post by fakesson »

philiplu, all, I also spend quite a bit of time looking for new posts (not here, but on main PE site), and currently it’s an inefficient process. Unfortunately, I don’t think either suggestion here is ideal. The problem is that the earlist and easiest PE problems have new posts very frequently, but these posts are unlikely to be of interest for experienced PE members. For some time I’ve meant to write my own code for custom filtering, which would allow me to select a subset of PE problems of interest (e.g. recent or difficult level > 30% but not any of the first 200 problems) and then sort them based on most recent forum post. (Another feature I was planning to implement was a search function for all posts of the solved PE problems.) Of course, I would rather not have to implement this myself, however I can’t think of anyway of doing this without complicating PE’s website quite a bit.
euler
Administrator

Post by euler »

I've just added a new filter type: Recent. What this will do is ignore any previous sort requests, but show the problems you have solved in the order in which you have solved them. Assuming it works as expected, it should allow you to keep track of the posts relating to the most recent problems you have solved.

It's quite hard for me to test it on a real account, so it would be helpful if you could check it out and report back any thoughts/issues.
impudens simia et macrologus profundus fabulae
fakesson

Post by fakesson »

Thanks. Looks good. I just noticed a very minor issue. The recent sorting of problems archives includes problem 724, e.g. it excludes the 9 most recent problems. It would be more consistent to excluded the 10 most recent problems (or none).
Screen Shot 2020-11-09 at 11.05.09 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-11-09 at 11.05.09 AM.png (83.69 KiB) Viewed 2440 times
euler
Administrator

Post by euler »

Well spotted. I've fixed it, but, oh, the irony. Now none of the recent problems appear when you click on Recent. :lol:
fakesson

Post by fakesson »

I can confirm that it's been fixed. Thanks again. Yes, I was thinking about that irony too.
euler
Administrator

Post by euler »

I wasn't happy with the keyword "recent", so I've changed it so it talks about chronological order.
henrig

Post by henrig »

It used to be possible to see the full list of the wording of all historic Project Euler puzzles. I think it was on the Archives tab. Has this functionality been removed? I found it very useful to find specific puzzles I had solved in the past - for example puzzles linked to Fibonacci numbers.
euler
Administrator

Post by euler »

Please see my reply in this post:
viewtopic.php?p=60080#p60080
henrig

Post by henrig »

Thank you. I wish I had made the copy to Word before this happened. Would someone perhaps have such a copy of all historical puzzles?