Problem 669

A place to air possible concerns or difficulties in understanding ProjectEuler problems. This forum is not meant to publish solutions. This forum is NOT meant to discuss solution methods or giving hints how a problem can be solved.
Forum rules
As your posts will be visible to the general public you
are requested to be thoughtful in not posting anything
that might explicitly give away how to solve a particular problem.

This forum is NOT meant to discuss solution methods for a problem.

In particular don't post any code fragments or results.

Don't start begging others to give partial answers to problems

Don't ask for hints how to solve a problem

Don't start a new topic for a problem if there already exists one

See also the topics:
Don't post any spoilers
Comments, questions and clarifications about PE problems.
crb11

Problem 669

Post by crb11 » Mon May 13, 2019 9:24 pm

I've come up with what I thought was a unique solution for the n=34 case, but I don't have knight 30 sitting in the 3rd chair from the king's left. My solution starts 4-30-25-9-12-... (not posting it all as I think it may give away the pattern needed to solve the puzzle). Any pointers people can give me? I'd be surprised if an error had got through this far, although there's still a typo in the text: "the king always prefers an arrangement where the knight to the his left". Thanks in advance.

crb11

Re: Problem 669

Post by crb11 » Mon May 13, 2019 10:08 pm

Ok, I'm stupid. (I'd not realised I hadn't used all the numbers.) I now have a solution which fits the rubric.

Shogimoto

Re: Problem 669

Post by Shogimoto » Tue May 14, 2019 12:51 pm

Ask me again about Problem 669 in the year 2040 again. I have an alogorithm, but it will run for 20 years until it prints the solution. I hope I do not run into any date problems during the wait.

Oh, I am lucky, i made an error in judging the situation: I will have the solution already in 1.92 years :-)