Problem 737

A place to air possible concerns or difficulties in understanding ProjectEuler problems. This forum is not meant to publish solutions. This forum is NOT meant to discuss solution methods or giving hints how a problem can be solved.
Forum rules
As your posts will be visible to the general public you
are requested to be thoughtful in not posting anything
that might explicitly give away how to solve a particular problem.

This forum is NOT meant to discuss solution methods for a problem.

In particular don't post any code fragments or results.

Don't start begging others to give partial answers to problems

Don't ask for hints how to solve a problem

Don't start a new topic for a problem if there already exists one

See also the topics:
Don't post any spoilers
Comments, questions and clarifications about PE problems.
hacatu

Problem 737

Post by hacatu »

How is whether or not coins are stackable determined? I figured that, for the assembly of the first n-1 coins to be stackable on the nth coin, the center of mass of the first n-1 coins should lie within the nth coin. Knowing the nth center of mass thus gives a quick way to compute the nth angle. It seems natural to store the center of mass in polar coordinates. I found a more or less closed form solution for the radius, as well as an iterative solution, and a formula for the angle of the center of mass and rotation angle in terms of the radius.

But my concern is twofold. My formulae seem a little bit off: the total angles for the numbers of coins given are about 3% off, but the error decreases for more coins. I know there is probably a precision problem as well. Unfortunately I haven't been able to find any clean form for the sum of angles. Have others used a laurent series or some other approximation?

I won't put my exact formula for the radius, but the n=2 radius can be immediately calculated assuming the center of mass interpretation is correct.
Last edited by hacatu on Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MuthuVeerappanR

Re: Problem 737

Post by MuthuVeerappanR »

It's very early to post values hacatu. Please keep working on the problem and remove the values. Possibly, someone will reply and you can get the chat in a private forum.
It is not knowledge, but the act of learning, not possession but the act of getting there, which grants the greatest enjoyment.
pjt33

Re: Problem 737

Post by pjt33 »

hacatu wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:34 pm My formulae seem a little bit off: the total angles for the numbers of coins given are about 3% off, but the error decreases for more coins.
I don't think you should be concerned about that, as long as it's 3% over rather than 3% under. Bear in mind that those numbers given are for the first point at which a discrete number of coins passes the nth full rotation. There's no expectation that they should exactly overlap.