Problem 672

A place to air possible concerns or difficulties in understanding ProjectEuler problems. This forum is not meant to publish solutions. This forum is NOT meant to discuss solution methods or giving hints how a problem can be solved.
Forum rules
As your posts will be visible to the general public you
are requested to be thoughtful in not posting anything
that might explicitly give away how to solve a particular problem.

This forum is NOT meant to discuss solution methods for a problem.

In particular don't post any code fragments or results.

Don't start begging others to give partial answers to problems

Don't ask for hints how to solve a problem

Don't start a new topic for a problem if there already exists one

See also the topics:
Don't post any spoilers
Comments, questions and clarifications about PE problems.
jaap

Problem 672

Post by jaap »

Is "no nothing" a typo for "do nothing"?

Shouldn't there be a floor function around the $\frac{7^K-1}{11}$ term? I don't think there is a universally accepted meaning for a sum where the upper limit for the index variable is not an integer.
hk
Administrator

Re: Problem 672

Post by hk »

jaap wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 12:35 pm Is "no nothing" a typo for "do nothing"?
Yes. Corrected.
Shouldn't there be a floor function around the $\frac{7^K-1}{11}$ term? I don't think there is a universally accepted meaning for a sum where the upper limit for the index variable is not an integer.
Please investigate if $\frac{7^K-1}{11}$ isn't an integer for the values of K used in the problem.
jaap

Post by jaap »

Thanks for fixing that hk.
hk wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 12:56 pm
jaap wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 12:35 pm Shouldn't there be a floor function around the $\frac{7^K-1}{11}$ term? I don't think there is a universally accepted meaning for a sum where the upper limit for the index variable is not an integer.
Please investigate if $\frac{7^K-1}{11}$ isn't an integer for the values of K used in the problem.
Fair enough I suppose. Still, it irks me that a definition of H(K) is given as if it holds for any K. I fully accept that you have to assume K is an integer, since this is in the context of an integer problem, but for me it feels like a step too far that it has the unstated assumption that the definition only makes sense for specific integer values of K and is therefore defined only for those values. I appreciate that this may be a minority opinion, and it's no big deal really.
Anyway, I'll move on to trying to solve the problem.
macgupta

Post by macgupta »

I agree with jaap. H is poorly defined.