Problem 008

A place to air possible concerns or difficulties in understanding ProjectEuler problems. This forum is not meant to publish solutions. This forum is NOT meant to discuss solution methods or giving hints how a problem can be solved.
Forum rules
As your posts will be visible to the general public you
are requested to be thoughtful in not posting anything
that might explicitly give away how to solve a particular problem.

This forum is NOT meant to discuss solution methods for a problem.

In particular don't post any code fragments or results.

Don't start begging others to give partial answers to problems

Don't ask for hints how to solve a problem

Don't start a new topic for a problem if there already exists one

See also the topics:
Don't post any spoilers
Comments, questions and clarifications about PE problems.
skoczian

Re: Problem 008

Post by skoczian »

SawyerWest wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 8:06 pm
For some reason my program is finding the correct answer for 1, 2, 3, and 4 adjacent digits (I've tested) but for some reason not 13 digits (although it looks fine)? Am I allowed to post results for input != 13 to discuss?
If you look through this thread you will see that this is quite a frequent difficulty and you will find the most probable solution. Moreover it won't be the last time this may bite you (depends on the programming language you use).

SawyerWest

Post by SawyerWest »

skoczian wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 8:17 pm
SawyerWest wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 8:06 pm
For some reason my program is finding the correct answer for 1, 2, 3, and 4 adjacent digits (I've tested) but for some reason not 13 digits (although it looks fine)? Am I allowed to post results for input != 13 to discuss?
If you look through this thread you will see that this is quite a frequent difficulty and you will find the most probable solution. Moreover it won't be the last time this may bite you (depends on the programming language you use).
I understand a lot of people are having trouble understanding what the problem is asking, but that is not the case here.

"The four adjacent digits in the 1000-digit number that have the greatest product are 9 × 9 × 8 × 9 = 5832."
[removed by moderator]
Last warning.
Please stop with posting way too much
[/removed]

To moderator: Sorry about that, I didn't mean to cause a problem.

rayfil
Administrator

Post by rayfil »

I know that there are 6 pages related to this particular problem but you were not aware of them before your first comment. Problem numbers need to be padded up front with 0's for easier search.

Conclusion: Many others have had their comments/questions, and possible answers to them.

Suggestion: Go through all of them and you should eventually find an answer to your own query. Simply consider it as another type of problem solving. This is how you become a better programmer.
When you assume something, you risk being wrong half the time.