Problem 345

A place to air possible concerns or difficulties in understanding ProjectEuler problems. This forum is not meant to publish solutions. This forum is NOT meant to discuss solution methods or giving hints how a problem can be solved.
Forum rules
As your posts will be visible to the general public you
are requested to be thoughtful in not posting anything
that might explicitly give away how to solve a particular problem.

This forum is NOT meant to discuss solution methods for a problem.

In particular don't post any code fragments or results.

Don't start begging others to give partial answers to problems

Don't ask for hints how to solve a problem

Don't start a new topic for a problem if there already exists one

See also the topics:
Don't post any spoilers
Comments, questions and clarifications about PE problems.
Slaunger

Problem 345

Post by Slaunger »

I have solved this problem using a different method from those given by the solvers in the problem thread (yes, I have carefully read all posts). It is a very efficient solution: 0.016 seconds in Python in just 38 iterations :D . I would like to add it to the thread as I believe it is relevant, but unfortunately the thread is locked. Could I PM an admin the solution, for consideration in the problem thread?

rayfil
Administrator

Re: Problem 345

Post by rayfil »

but unfortunately the thread is locked
First, in the past, threads used to become locked only after 200 posts had been made. The thread for Problem 345 only has 145 posts at present.

Secondly, threads now remain unlocked indefinitely, with the proviso that only the first 200 posts are guaranteed to remain permanent. Additional posts may be made permanent if deemed sufficiently worthwhile.

Question 1: Are you really having trouble posting in the thread of Problem 345?

Question 2: What may make you believe that the thread where you actually want to post is locked?
When you assume something, you risk being wrong half the time.

Slaunger

Post by Slaunger »

Hi rayfil,

Doooh. I somehow overlooked the Post Reply link in the lower right corner. I was tired (should have gone to bed), yet exhilirated by my achievement...

Edit: And I have now posted in the thread... :D

Kind regards,

mdean

Post by mdean »

I get the feeling I'm missing something obvious on this one. I'm trying the only thing I can think of. I'm thinking I will be lucky if I can get this in a minute. As it stands now, I'm hoping I made a mistake in my program right now, because I should have gotten some sort of output by now, even if it's not a final answer...

Update: I think it's about day 3 into the program now. At this point, I'm going to just let it run, hope I get a right answer, and figure out why it took so long later.

Update: Almost a week now and it's still running. I've finally realized I've been making more calculations than necessary. The idea was good, the execution flawed. I think I'm going to do more organization on paper before I take another stab at it. I have 2 potential plans of attack in mind. One is definitely simpler, though I'm not sure yet which will be fewer calculations.

Either way, this should be the last of my updates here. Hopefully, my next post will be in the thread for those who have solved it.

Junglemath

Post by Junglemath »

Any chance the light green color that highlights the entries that are used in the example sum can be changed to a different color that is not so annoying to look at? Maybe something like red?

kenbrooker

Post by kenbrooker »

AND/OR change "his" to "its"?
"Good Judgment comes from Experience;
Experience comes from Bad Judgment
..."

Junglemath

Post by Junglemath »

kenbrooker wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 1:19 am