Problem 284

A place to air possible concerns or difficulties in understanding ProjectEuler problems. This forum is not meant to publish solutions. This forum is NOT meant to discuss solution methods or giving hints how a problem can be solved.
Forum rules
As your posts will be visible to the general public you
are requested to be thoughtful in not posting anything
that might explicitly give away how to solve a particular problem.

This forum is NOT meant to discuss solution methods for a problem.

In particular don't post any code fragments or results.

Don't start begging others to give partial answers to problems

Don't ask for hints how to solve a problem

Don't start a new topic for a problem if there already exists one

See also the topics:
Don't post any spoilers
Comments, questions and clarifications about PE problems.
mrtollefson

Problem 284

Post by mrtollefson »

I want to make sure I'm properly understanding the problem. Looking at the example set, we are looking for steady squares between 1 and ddddddddd in Base 14 (nine d's or 20,661,046,783 decimal), and between 1 and 10,000 d's for the problem set.

If that assumption is correct, does the answer for 1<=n<=6 equal 14c or 264 decimal?

I see the easy part of the pattern. Still struggling with the grander vision.

Thanks,
...mrt

hk
Administrator

Re: Problem 284

Post by hk »

14c is correct.

BostonBear

Post by BostonBear »

I am puzzled here, quoting from the problem description " c372 = aa0c37, and the sum of its digits is c+3+7=18"

from my calcuations, the sum of the digits should be c->12 + 3->3 + 7->7 = 22, not 18. I don't see what I'm doing wrong, perhaps this problems text should be fixed, either that or perhaps you can tell me where I'm thinking wrongly.

TripleM

Post by TripleM »

BostonBear wrote:I am puzzled here, quoting from the problem description " c372 = aa0c37, and the sum of its digits is c+3+7=18"

from my calcuations, the sum of the digits should be c->12 + 3->3 + 7->7 = 22, not 18. I don't see what I'm doing wrong, perhaps this problems text should be fixed, either that or perhaps you can tell me where I'm thinking wrongly.
Perhaps you shouldn't cut the last 5 words from the sentence you quoted :)

BostonBear

Post by BostonBear »

TripleM wrote:
BostonBear wrote:I am puzzled here, quoting from the problem description " c372 = aa0c37, and the sum of its digits is c+3+7=18"

Perhaps you shouldn't cut the last 5 words from the sentence you quoted :)
Yeah, duh... Thanks :) I did do the conversion before I added the numbers in the sequence, but took the sums in base 10 and then converted the number to base 14, thereby missing the obvious.

deejinator

Post by deejinator »

Anybody else having trouble with this, make sure your program doesn't store "0" digits as "14", especially if it only does it in a case that doesn't have any zeros up to the 9 digits of the example.

tchiari

Post by tchiari »

Following up on mrtollefson's first post to this forum, I'm trying to first solve this for 1<=n<=6 and I'm not coming up with a digit sum of 14c. For this range, I am finding 9 results, but the sum of my digits is less than half of what is expected. I'm wondering if I could PM my 9 results to someone and see if they could clue me in to the first missing result - that should hopefully get me going in the right direction! Thanks!

sjhillier
Administrator

Post by sjhillier »

tchiari wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 4:09 pm
I am finding 9 results
I won't tell you the values, but I will confirm that you are correct that you are missing some solutions. If your original solution isn't working, try it a different way (another language or method) and you might find them, the solution space is not so large for this range.