Problem 620

A place to air possible concerns or difficulties in understanding ProjectEuler problems. This forum is not meant to publish solutions. This forum is NOT meant to discuss solution methods or giving hints how a problem can be solved.
Forum rules
As your posts will be visible to the general public you
are requested to be thoughtful in not posting anything
that might explicitly give away how to solve a particular problem.

This forum is NOT meant to discuss solution methods for a problem.

In particular don't post any code fragments or results.

Don't start begging others to give partial answers to problems

Don't ask for hints how to solve a problem

Don't start a new topic for a problem if there already exists one

See also the topics:
Don't post any spoilers
Comments, questions and clarifications about PE problems.
albert

Problem 620

Post by albert » Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:14 pm

"The circles can overlap."

One could leave this out, as in the sequel the circles are represented by gears, which obviously can't overlap.
Also the drawing suggest that ghost gears that are somehow occupying the same space are not allowed.
So it started out as circles out that roll off each other without sliding, but the remainder to makes it into a Diophantine problem is murky.

Or have I misunderstood the problem totally?

Groetjes Albert

RobertStanforth
Administrator

Re: Problem 620

Post by RobertStanforth » Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:34 pm

Hi Albert,

The 'planet' gears can overlap if they occupy different locations in the $z$ axis (i.e. the direction coming out of the page).

Steppenwolf99

Post by Steppenwolf99 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:58 pm

What arrangements are counted as distinct? It doesn't look like two arrangements of gears that differ only in orientation are counted as distinct.

RobertStanforth
Administrator

Post by RobertStanforth » Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:24 pm

Rotations and reflections do not give rise to distinct arrangements.

Radewoosh

Post by Radewoosh » Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:42 pm

Can two planets (with this same circumference) have exactly the same position?

RobertStanforth
Administrator

Post by RobertStanforth » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:03 pm

Radewoosh wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:42 pm
Can two planets (with this same circumference) have exactly the same position?
No, the four planets must all be distinct: no two may have the same size and position.

abcwuhang

Post by abcwuhang » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:18 pm

As an epicyclic gear train allows the planets to rotate, what is the meaning of perfectly meshing of gears? Could you show how to drive the whole system? Thanks.
If you'd like to friend me, shoot me a message and I'll give you the code :)

RobertStanforth
Administrator

Post by RobertStanforth » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:21 pm

abcwuhang wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:18 pm
As an epicyclic gear train allows the planets to rotate, what is the meaning of perfectly meshing of gears? Could you show how to drive the whole system? Thanks.
Each of the six gears rotates about its own axis. The axes themselves don't move.

Steppenwolf99

Post by Steppenwolf99 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:37 pm

I left this alone for 2 days and finally solved it on my second attempt today. A comment: some of the clarifications on this section should be included in the problem description. The trouble I had was more about parsing semantics and I made a couple of wrong assumptions which could have been avoided if I had come back to this page earlier. Thanks for an elegant problem.

hexadoodle

Post by hexadoodle » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:36 pm

A correct configuration of gears will ALWAYS have their underlying circles as tangent to each other as described in the problem, correct?

How important is the shape of the teeth? If they were more square or more rounded, would it affect the answer? What if the teeth stuck out further or lesser? (Is this what is meant by "pitch" in the problem?)

Animus
Administrator

Post by Animus » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:51 pm

hexadoodle wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:36 pm
A correct configuration of gears will ALWAYS have their underlying circles as tangent to each other as described in the problem, correct?
Yes.
How important is the shape of the teeth? If they were more square or more rounded, would it affect the answer? What if the teeth stuck out further or lesser? (Is this what is meant by "pitch" in the problem?)
With perfect meshing teeth two connecting gears, represented by their touching circles, will move perfectly in sync, with their angular velocties having the invers ratio of the number of their teeth.
In the real world, perfectly meshing teeth are difficult to construct, and yes, the hight and the form ot the teeth are both important, but that does not affect the answer in this idealized problem.