Yes
50%
No
50%

Total votes: 2

Junglemath

Some features that are not available on this site

Post by Junglemath »

1) No option to get an automatic email when I get a private message.

2) Being able to browse the members of this site but not being able to search by name. Plus, the names are sorted by letter, but within each letter it isn't alphabetical!!

3) And how exactly is the difficulty % calculated for the PE problems? I thought it changed based on the percentage of members who solved it, but I don't think that's the case.

EDIT: also no option to change the number of threads listed per page. It gets tiresome constantly clicking the button to the next page.
Last edited by Junglemath on Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LilStalker

Re: Some features that are not available on this site

Post by LilStalker »

Pretty aggresive post imo.

1) You can't get private messages on Project Euler site. Does it happen very often that you get private messages here on the forum?
2) Wherever I look, members are sorted either by the place they completed the problem or by the number of problems solved. Could you pinpoint where the case you mentioned happens?
3) It is calculated based on the distribution of times needed of first 100 solvers.
4) You can view all problems in your progress bar. Or you can sort by many different criteria. I don't find it annoying to click next page a few times.
You can also see all problems on one page: https://projecteuler.net/show=unsolved

Junglemath

Post by Junglemath »

It wasn't aggressive. I was just making some suggestions for the improvement of the site.

1) If I'm corresponding with someone via private message, and that is the only way for us to contact each other, then it becomes tedious to constantly keep logging in just to check your inbox. I really doubt the implementation of this feature requires too much overhead.

2) It appears I was wrong about the alphabetical part. However, there should be a search feature where you can just type in the member's name and see if that member exists. You shouldn't have to find the page on which it would have been found, had he existed. Another feature that probably doesn't require too much overhead.

3) Thanks.

4) I was talking about threads on this site, not problems on PE.net.

Animus
Administrator

Post by Animus »

Hi Junglemath

I don't know if you are aware that there have been severe attempts to hack Project Euler. A few years ago PE has been shut down for a few months after such an attack, in order to prevent sensitive user data (especially e-mail adresses in combination with password hashes) to be stolen.
For this reason we decided some time ago to generally refrain from storing e-mail adresses on both sites. Thus implementing email notification is not possible.
However, if you are exchanging PM on a regular basis with another member and want immediate notification, why not exchange mail adresses via PM yourself?

On this site, if you open Private Messages and create a new PM, there is a button available to search for other members.

PE is run on an entirely voluntary basis and no money is made by advertisment, or any kind of data collection or tracking members, which is pretty unique these days for such a popular site. In the light of this, the way you formulated your "suggestions for improvement" did indeed sound a little agressive, but that may be due to the fact that english isn't your first language.

Regards

hk
Administrator

Post by hk »

A few things must be made clear:
The projecteuler.chat forum (that's the forum you are reading now) is an out of the box forum. It uses phpBB.
We can't change that forum to accomodate for requests.
The main site projecteuler.net is written by Colin Hughes himself. Reasonable request can be catered for.

However, on both sites holds: we don't store email addresses. That's because if we do and we get hacked (as happened a few years ago) we have a privacy issue. Nowadays fines can be quite large if you have such a privacy issue.

If you want to search a member on this forum and you have chosed the first letter of a fellow user's username initially the members are sorted by order of registration. You can alter this order by clicking on the heading of the column you want to get sorted.

Another feature you can use when using this forum (and also the main site) is that you have a remeber me option. So constantly having to log in seems to me a little bit exaggerated if you use the options available.

Junglemath

Post by Junglemath »

Animus wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:05 am
Hi Junglemath

I don't know if you are aware that there have been severe attempts to hack Project Euler. A few years ago PE has been shut down for a few months after such an attack, in order to prevent sensitive user data (especially e-mail adresses in combination with password hashes) to be stolen.
For this reason we decided some time ago to generally refrain from storing e-mail adresses on both sites. Thus implementing email notification is not possible.
However, if you are exchanging PM on a regular basis with another member and want immediate notification, why not exchange mail adresses via PM yourself?

On this site, if you open Private Messages and create a new PM, there is a button available to search for other members.

PE is run on an entirely voluntary basis and no money is made by advertisment, or any kind of data collection or tracking members, which is pretty unique these days for such a popular site. In the light of this, the way you formulated your "suggestions for improvement" did indeed sound a little agressive, but that may be due to the fact that english isn't your first language.

Regards
Thanks for the reply, but I still maintain that my post wasn't aggressive.

Why are you assuming that English isn't my first language?

hk
Administrator

Post by hk »

Junglemath wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:13 am

Is it then?

Animus
Administrator

Post by Animus »

Junglemath wrote:
Thanks for the reply, but I still maintain that my post wasn't aggressive.
I am content to stand corrected.
You have chosen Belarus as Location. Any reason for this?

Junglemath

Post by Junglemath »

hk wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:21 am
Junglemath wrote:

Is it then?
It is. As long as PE allows users to choose any flag to represent their location, no assumptions may be made about a user's nationality.

LilStalker

Post by LilStalker »

It's a pointless debate really. But I will point out a few spots which I do find aggresive and that I wouldn't use if I just wanted to make a suggestion.

... Plus, the names are sorted by letter, but within each letter it isn't alphabetical!! ... (Notice the double exclamation mark at the end)
'
... 3) And how exactly is the difficulty % ... but I don't think that's the case. ... (is there really a need for the word 'exactly' ?) Usually when people make a sentence in the way you did, they are being aggresive.

And at the end, after you pointed out all the things that bother you, you also had to add this, just to add something more.

EDIT: also no option to change the number of threads listed per page. It gets tiresome constantly clicking the button to the next page

As I have said, this is a pointless debate whether the post you did was aggresive or not, you think it's not, I (and some other) think it is. Whatever. If I wanted to make suggestions, I would use vastly different language.