Project Euler Style Sheet Update

Announcements, comments, ideas, feedback, and "How do I... ?" questions
euler
Administrator

Project Euler Style Sheet Update

Post by euler » Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:09 pm

As technology has evolved it seems that Project Euler has taken time to catch-up. A common request in recent years has been to modify the style sheets to be make the website mobile device friendly. This includes a responsive framework that should dynamically adapt the display to accommodate a variety of screen widths.

It has taken a lot of work, given the regimented tabular structure of many pages, but we are pleased to reveal the fruits of that labour.

This has required significant changes not only to the style sheets, but the way in which the scripts dynamically produce pages. Extensive testing has been made, but as you can imagine there are going to be some setups that had not been anticipated and consequently pages may not render as expected. In addition, as part of the the process a number of decisions have been made to modernise the style sheets, including the use of CSS variables to simplify future changes. Whereas support for this has been in place in all of the main browsers for several years now, it does mean that some old browsers may suffer. Special provision has been made to provide legacy CSS support for Internet Explorer, which means that IE will only render a version of the default theme .

If you notice any specific issues, then we would ask you to report them here.

For many members they will notice nothing more than, what we hope, a cleaner more pleasing appearance. For mobile device users we hope that the effort was worth it and navigating the site becomes an enjoyable experience.
impudens simia et macrologus profundus fabulae

burgerhex

Re: Project Euler Style Sheet Update

Post by burgerhex » Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:57 pm

I really like this new update! One small thing -- I've noticed an issue in the Progress tab where clicking the "Levels", "Awards", "Posts", and "History" buttons do change the URL, adding "show=levels", "show=awards", etc., but they do not actually change the content of the page away from my solved problems, and the "Problems" button still remains highlighted.

If it matters, I'm viewing the website on Google Chrome on a 2015 MacBook Pro running macOS High Sierra.

Thanks in advance! :D

fakesson

Post by fakesson » Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:15 pm

Thanks a lot for the new nice design. I have exactly the same issue as burgerhex. I use the latest version of Google Chrome and Mac OS 10.14.1. Same issue with latest version of Safari on both my Mac and iPhone.
Last edited by fakesson on Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

remsenian

Post by remsenian » Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:41 pm

I can confirm the profile issue mentioned above by fakesson and burgerhex is happening for me as well, using Firefox 65.0.2 on Windows.

gbroxey

Post by gbroxey » Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:45 pm

I'm on Chrome on a Windows 8 computer, same problem. I just get a bar with "Problems, Levels, Awards, Posts, History", but nothing happens when you click any of them.

EDIT: something else that's a bit weird. On the statistics page, switching between active members and all registered members does some weird newline stuff, you get two rows of three for no reason.
Discord: heteroing#1674.

fakesson

Post by fakesson » Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:59 pm

The issue seems to have been fixed now. Thanks.

euler
Administrator

Post by euler » Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:59 pm

Sorry about that and thank you for the heads-up. I'd forgotten to update one of the files on the server. It should be working now.

@gbroxey: Just checked. It was because the active members Statistics page was cached from the old design. I've manually refreshed the cache for that page and it should be fixed. There may be one or two other pages that are affected, but if that is the case then they will be fixed automatically within the next 24 hours.

gbroxey

Post by gbroxey » Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:16 pm

@euler thanks, looks good now!

MHealy

Post by MHealy » Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:17 pm

I like the new design too - thanks!

There's a small styling issue on the progress page with kudos for non-permanent posts:
Euler_Posts.png
Euler_Posts.png (5.88 KiB) Viewed 5409 times
(Happens on Chrome on both Windows 10 and Android.)

bonsaihawk

Post by bonsaihawk » Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:00 am

Slight problem with the new design - can't select/cutnpaste code from solution threads now. The code fold just refolds away on click-release. Using Firefox65.

This is terribly serious - if I can't borrow and steal, what hope is there??

MuthuVeerappanR

Post by MuthuVeerappanR » Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:59 am

Many thanks to the PE team for the new style. The site looks great with the new styling.

The only issue that I saw was as that of MHealy. For non-permananent posts, the kudos are slightly mis-aligned in Chrome.

Truly appreciate the hard work in getting PE a new style.
It is not knowledge, but the act of learning, not possession but the act of getting there, which grants the greatest enjoyment.

gbroxey

Post by gbroxey » Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:12 am

After using it for a while I think that the forum threads look a bit odd with the posts being the same color as the background. I prefer it when, for example, in dark mode the posts are a bit lighter color. I'm not sure if anyone else feels the same way but I'm putting that out there.

LilStalker

Post by LilStalker » Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:15 pm

I like most of the changes. Good job :) Since you are doing it all in your spare time, I dont think I want to bother you with things I dont like :D

However I agree that some color change should be done to solution discussion forum. I think adding some brownish like background color to top line of each post would nice. Or maybe some other change.

euler
Administrator

Post by euler » Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:51 pm

Thanks for the feedback. I'm pleased that we all like the new look.

@MHealy: Posts made should now be fixed.

@bonsaihawk: Problem solved. You are now free to borrow and steal. :wink:

I've modified the colours slightly in the solutions forum to add a bit of contrast. Hopefully it looks better now.

fakesson

Post by fakesson » Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:21 pm

Thanks a lot. Looks good now. I had to do a hard refresh in Chrome to pick up the changes.

MHealy

Post by MHealy » Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:49 pm

Yeah, it's fixed now, cheers :D

One other very minor thing. The logged-in user isn't highlighted anymore* in fastest solver tables (like they are in awards/Eulerians tables).

*At least, I think they used to be highlighted here, but I could be imagining it... :lol:

euler
Administrator

Post by euler » Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:08 pm

Interesting?! I had a look at the previous style sheets and it doesn't seem to have been highlighted in quite some time. Anyway, it should highlighted now.

MHealy

Post by MHealy » Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:40 pm

Oh, haha, maybe I was wrong :oops: But yeah it's highlighted now, thanks!

Ebrahim2000

Post by Ebrahim2000 » Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:06 pm

Thanks for all the effort, really like the site's new look.

One minor thing, some diagrams/fractions with black lines are not very clear in dark mode: Problem 86 for example.

On a more personal note, I liked the previous progress tab with the problems/levels/awards together more.

MuthuVeerappanR

Post by MuthuVeerappanR » Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:43 pm

The kudos count is aligned properly now. Kudos for that euler...
It is not knowledge, but the act of learning, not possession but the act of getting there, which grants the greatest enjoyment.