Organize / Display type of problem

Announcements, comments, ideas, feedback, and "How do I... ?" questions
Montago

Organize / Display type of problem

Post by Montago » Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:20 pm

It would be nice if the Archive / List of problems also contained a column that indicated what type of mathical problem it is ... eg: Geometrical, Statistical, Number series, etc....

I would use this to scan the list of problems and easier pick something i'd like to solve.

I know that a true Eulian would solve EVERY SINGLE ONE.. but.. im not one of those.

hk
Administrator

Re: Organize / Display type of problem

Post by hk » Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:32 pm

The request for tagging problems is not new.
However the lack of them is intentional. That's explained here

kenbrooker

Post by kenbrooker » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:57 pm

hk wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:32 pm
The request for tagging problems is not new.
However the lack of them is intentional. That's explained here
WOW! I am delighted to have clicked here and learned about the "Unsolved Problems" page; Just the sort of search capability I have been longing for on PE.Net...

Question: Is there a way to click on that page from PE.Net?
(Hopefully not a dumb question... : )
"Good Judgment comes from Experience;
Experience comes from Bad Judgment
..."

euler
Administrator

Post by euler » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:20 pm

Not directly, but by default you will be viewing "All" problems. There is a link at the top of each Archives table which says, "View the details of all problems on one page", where "all problems" is a clickable link that will take you to a page showing all problems. If you change the filter type for the Archives page between "Solved" or "Unsolved", then that same link before that said, "all problems" will change to whatever your current filter is.

Also, in case you'd not noticed before, in the top right corner of the page on the main website is a magnifying glass icon. If you click on that, then you will be able to search the entire problem database for specific keywords.
impudens simia et macrologus profundus fabulae

kenbrooker

Post by kenbrooker » Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:32 am

ThankYouSIR!

I actually prefer seeing "All" problems and when I clicked on Georg's "unsolved problems" link from PE.chat I seemed to actually be seeing All problems, but didn't want to complicate my request over that puzzlement...

I missed both of your great leads and should have known you folks would provide searching...

One last detail, for some reason I did not receive the usual Email notification of hk's response or of your response, notification which I really appreciate...
What am I doing wrong or again, missing?
..."

Montago

Post by Montago » Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:31 am

from the "here" link ..
The lack of category tags has been intentional. If a category is too vague, it won't be helpful. If a category is too detailed, it might give away a solution.
I don't quite agree with that...

Problem 345 (https://projecteuler.net/problem=345) is clearly a Grid / Matrix type problem and telling that wouldn't help in any way.
Problem 205 (https://projecteuler.net/problem=205) is clearly a Game / Combinatoric problem and telling that would also not help because it's so obvious

I'm aware that some problems might not have an obvious category, but a thing i've noticed is that almost all problems have a theme or natural category that they kind of fall into... therefore i don't quite agree with puttings problems in categories / themes would expose the solution ... people still need to solve it, it's not like 15 digit numbers magically apear because you know the category of solution.

traxex

Post by traxex » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:29 am

Montago wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:31 am
Problem 345 (https://projecteuler.net/problem=345) is clearly a Grid / Matrix type problem and telling that wouldn't help in any way.
I think that's because "Grid / Matrix" is such a vague category that it would not be very interesting. Similar websites that do use tags might have ones for linear algebra, recurrence relation, dynamic programming, path finding, etc. but usually not just "Matrix".

Another problem with a "Matrix" tag is that many (perhaps most?) problems that involve matrices do so only implicitly, and having such a tag would create a question of which problems are "obviously" matrix problems and deserve the tag, and which ones would be spoiled by it. And every time a problem doesn't have it I would wonder if I'm wrong to approach it as a matrix problem.

Montago wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:31 am
Problem 205 (https://projecteuler.net/problem=205) is clearly a Game / Combinatoric problem and telling that would also not help because it's so obvious
When I'm looking for Game problems, 205 is not at all what I expect to find. And if I want combinatoric problems (one of my favourites), I don't need a tag because they are everywhere and they are often easy to spot.

The problem with having a Combinatoric tag, or any tag, is also that sometimes a problem is at a first glance obviously an X type of problem, but while solving it you discover that it's really about something else. In these cases having the tag would be misleading, but its absence would in itself be a hint that something is amiss. Imagine the endless threads where helpful members suggest adding a "missing" tag.

The lines between a combinatoric problem, a probability problem and an algorithmic dynamic programming problem are also very blurry. I don't want tags telling me which way to go. Sometimes I come up with a complicated solution using method X and it seems like the most natural thing, until I see that others have one-liners or closed form expressions based on method Y.

Personally I'm really happy about Project Euler's decision on this. On another website that I visit regularly I had to resort to a custom CSS rule to *hide* tags that are everywhere spoiling my fun.
Technically, everyone is full of himself.

kenbrooker

Post by kenbrooker » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:58 pm

traxex wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:29 am
On another website that I visit regularly I had to resort to a custom CSS rule to *hide* tags that are everywhere spoiling my fun.
traxex, Would you be willing to share the address of that website, please?
..."

traxex

Post by traxex » Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:10 am

kenbrooker wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:58 pm
traxex wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:29 am
On another website that I visit regularly I had to resort to a custom CSS rule to *hide* tags that are everywhere spoiling my fun.
traxex, Would you be willing to share the address of that website, please?
It's http://www.spoj.com/.

Edit: One of the top Eulerians, Min_25, has created some very nice problems on SPOJ. Just today he published a problem on Ludic numbers (and a harder version as well).
Last edited by traxex on Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Technically, everyone is full of himself.

kenbrooker

Post by kenbrooker » Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:15 am

Thanks! traxex,

Looks MOST Intriguing... Having trouble getting a Verification Code sent to my Email address but
We don't want this to be too easy... Thanks Again!!

EDIT: Finally did get a Verification Code!
..."