old solutions forum post truncated at non-ascii char

Announcements, comments, ideas, feedback, and "How do I... ?" questions
cyclops

old solutions forum post truncated at non-ascii char

Post by cyclops » Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:32 am

I noticed that my old solutions forum post for problem 319 got truncated right before a non-ASCII character (you should be able to figure out what the character is from context), apparently from an encoding/decoding error. I'm sure there was no error at the time I originally posted it. (It included a reply to sivakd, as you can see by his edit.) I'm guessing it was originally stored in either UTF-8 or Windows-1252. Is there some way to see the whole post, or is it lost forever?

Edit: I just noticed that DerekLedbetter's post right above mine and Stache's post below also got truncated for a different non-ASCII character! Although Kevin Sogo's post used that character (under a different encoding, I would guess) and didn't get truncated.

euler
Administrator

Re: old solutions forum post truncated at non-ascii char

Post by euler » Fri Mar 30, 2018 4:09 pm

I'm not sure how that happened, but I guess at some point I must have made some mass conversion and the process had effected a number of posts; there will undoubtedly be a small number of other posts that have been lost in the same way. Fortunately for you, I was able to go through the DB archives and find the raw post and update it. But it was a tedious manual process and not one I'd like to do often. Anyway, I think I've managed to restore your post as it was on 11 March 2014. If you'd changed it since that date, then you might need to edit it. The database now fully supports utf8mb4, so no future encoding issues should be encountered.
impudens simia et macrologus profundus fabulae

cyclops

Re: old solutions forum post truncated at non-ascii char

Post by cyclops » Fri Mar 30, 2018 5:25 pm

Wow, thank you!