Web site off line Jun 15, 2014

Announcements, comments, ideas, feedback, and "How do I... ?" questions
phsr

Web site off line Jun 15, 2014

Post by phsr »

Understanding that all you administrators are concentrating on figuring out and fixing the database problem, if this outage will be prolonged, maybe at some point you can find time to provide an update here to keep your core community informed.
oleglyamin

Re: Web site off line Jun 15, 2014

Post by oleglyamin »

This is one of the worst days of my life... Project Euler was so much fun. No indication when it will return sounds very unsettling :?
muffoosta

Post by muffoosta »

I feel kinda gutted at the moment, been on a good streak for some weeks now. I'd love a way for me to check if my new answers are correct. Starting to build up a backlog, and the thought of go back if they are incorrect is unsettling.

I hope it's back soon!
Svartskägg

Post by Svartskägg »

muffoosta wrote:I'd love a way for me to check if my new answers are correct
You could just enter your results in Google. The right answers can be found on other sites on internet also.
320641_5486fc18ea1dcc4e9a8f29c7677a5c19 <-- my friend key
pimspelier

Post by pimspelier »

Does anyone still have the complete list of questions? I should have saved the list earlier, but I did not expect this to happen...
oleglyamin

Post by oleglyamin »

I've got problems 1 to 349 saved.
pimspelier

Post by pimspelier »

Perhaps you (or somebody else) could put them online somewhere, so at least everybody can continue solving until the site is back online. Or if everybody is too lazy, I can read them in German...
oleglyamin

Post by oleglyamin »

Problems 1 to 349. First part - pictures.
Attachments
Project Euler_files_3.zip
(452.87 KiB) Downloaded 106 times
Project Euler_files_2.zip
(365.57 KiB) Downloaded 95 times
Project Euler_files.zip
(358.53 KiB) Downloaded 114 times
oleglyamin

Post by oleglyamin »

Problems 1 to 349. Text.
Attachments
Project Euler.zip
(103.68 KiB) Downloaded 145 times
netvipec

Post by netvipec »

Here's the list of problems from 1-467, i saved weeks ago, this is almost one of the few times that having an internet that suck, payoff.
Attachments
ProjectEulerProblemList.part3.rar
Problems 1-467 (3/5)
(488.28 KiB) Downloaded 107 times
ProjectEulerProblemList.part2.rar
Problems 1-467 (2/5)
(488.28 KiB) Downloaded 103 times
ProjectEulerProblemList.part1.rar
Problems 1-467 (1/5)
(488.28 KiB) Downloaded 113 times
netvipec

Post by netvipec »

The other 2 files.
Attachments
ProjectEulerProblemList.part5.rar
Problems 1-467 (5/5)
(9.41 KiB) Downloaded 105 times
ProjectEulerProblemList.part4.rar
Problems 1-467 (4/5)
(488.28 KiB) Downloaded 105 times
SoboLAN

Post by SoboLAN »

I hacked a quick page on the Romanian translations site that allows viewing english problems, at least until this whole Project Euler issue is resolved.

You can view problems here:

Code: Select all

EDIT: link removed because problems content can be seen on main PE site
Just replace the "X" with the problem ID you want to see. Please keep in mind that it goes only from 1 to 471, the newest problems are not accessible. (the latest is 476 I think).

Enjoy !

PS: Two VERY IMPORTANT things to keep in mind:

- Problems that require more special formatting may not be displayed correctly since there is no CSS file loaded. But at least the images will work :) .
- Some problems may be out-of-date since I haven't updated them in a while.
Last edited by SoboLAN on Sat Jul 12, 2014 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
anilgulecha

Post by anilgulecha »

Hi All,

We're importing the problems and making them available on Hackerrank (like youtube but for programming challenges, with built in live coding environment).

[link disabled]
This is a work in progress, but please let me know if you see any issues.
Last edited by anilgulecha on Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bubbler

Post by Bubbler »

anilgulecha wrote:Hi All,

We're importing the problems and making them available on Hackerrank (like youtube but for programming challenges, with built in live coding environment).

https://www.hackerrank.com/contests/pro ... challenges

A little suggestion:
It seems to be possible to accept answers as plain text (as you see in data structure quiz things), which would simplify submitting solutions. Also, a few of the PE problems on Hackerrank are outdated, especially 008 which asks now to find 13-digit sequence (not 5).
oleglyamin

Post by oleglyamin »

I wish someone in the know on what happened explained a bit what happened and more importantly gave an estimate, however rough it may be, on how quickly PE will return.

I don't understand the need for this amount of secrecy. At this moment PE's front page looks as if PE had been something like a place where one could pay medical bills - as if someone who compromised the database had gained an access to our financial and other private information. I'm not saying PE's not important, for me it's probably the most important place on the web, but come on - it's a place where nerds input answers to certain mathematical problems. What could those who compromised the database have really learned from it? What's with all this secrecy?

Also - is there anything PE needs? Financially or otherwise?
anilgulecha

Post by anilgulecha »

Bubbler wrote: A little suggestion:
It seems to be possible to accept answers as plain text (as you see in data structure quiz things), which would simplify submitting solutions. Also, a few of the PE problems on Hackerrank are outdated, especially 008 which asks now to find 13-digit sequence (not 5).
That is possible, however you'd then lose the ability to code in live editor, which is one of the nice advantage of the online service. PROTIP: You can also switch to ruby and do a

Code: Select all

puts "answer"
which is pretty simple way of providing the answer.

As to the the question update, we're going through another round of updating the quesiton list shortly, and importing the remaining questions -- the issue we do not have all the answers to auto-setup checking in the backend. If someone here has this information dump, please reach out to me at anil at hackerrank dot com. This will help us have everything up much quicker than if I have to manually start creating each test case.
hk
Administrator

Post by hk »

oleglyamin wrote:I wish someone in the know on what happened explained a bit what happened and more importantly gave an estimate, however rough it may be, on how quickly PE will return.

I don't understand the need for this amount of secrecy. At this moment PE's front page looks as if PE had been something like a place where one could pay medical bills - as if someone who compromised the database had gained an access to our financial and other private information. I'm not saying PE's not important, for me it's probably the most important place on the web, but come on - it's a place where nerds input answers to certain mathematical problems. What could those who compromised the database have really learned from it? What's with all this secrecy?

Also - is there anything PE needs? Financially or otherwise?
It seems that those hackers have had full access to our database.
We don't know what information they've gathered and what was their goal.
What they could have gathered is 400000 email adresses.
They also could have gathered the MD5 hashes of the passwords that belong to those members in combination with their email adresses.
Potentially this is a hazard for those that have used the password they used for PE elsewhere.
Before going fully online again (we do have safe backups) we need to investigate how they've been able to slip in in the first place, otherwise we will probably be hacked again very soon.
Unfortunately the guy who has built the website (euler, Colin Hughes) doesn't have the time at the moment to do so because of professional deadlines he has to meet.
Currently we're investigating the possibility to make our problem set available again and provide basic answer checking facilities.
anilgulecha wrote:Hi All,

https://www.hackerrank.com/contests/pro ... challenges

We would be grateful if you postponed this activity until it becomes clear what we are able to do to get back again, or to provide.
The PE team is very unlucky with the fact that within 24 hours after we announced the we were hacked Hackkerank seemed to find it a good idea to start the work you're announcing proudly here on our own recources. Please keep in mind we thought it our duty to the members to be open about this fact.
This sounds a little bit like inheritants starting to quarrel about the legacy before the deceased has been properly buried or even before he is dead. "Vultures" is the only proper term I can find for this behaviour.
A little bit more of patience we'd have considered proper behaviour in this case.

hk, PE admin.
anilgulecha

Post by anilgulecha »

Hi,

First off, sorry about it seeming this way. The intention was to provide a location for the problem solvers to continue (and the licence seemed to encourage this purpose).

We're taking immediate steps to disable these right now, and will wait for the admins/community here to guage and update the status of the project.

Apologies again for any hurt sentiments.
anilgulecha

Post by anilgulecha »

An update: the links and the challenges are disabled.
hk
Administrator

Post by hk »

Thanks for your consideration.
To be honest: the licence does entitle you to make a clone.
However, the timing was rather distasteful.