Credits for Authors of problems

Announcements, comments, ideas, feedback, and "How do I... ?" questions
wrongrook

Credits for Authors of problems

Post by wrongrook »

I was just wondering whether it would be good to note somewhere who suggested each problem?

It might show a bit of appreciation to those able to come up with the problems, and solvers might be able to start recognising the names of problem setters whose questions they enjoy, perhaps helping them when choosing which problem to attempt next?

Personally, I have never suggested a question (I find them quite hard enough to solve, let alone compose) but if I had, then I am sure I would like to be credited!

Of course, this should be completely voluntary, and perhaps people would be happier using an alias in the same manner as crossword compilers?

usrbin

Re: Credits for Authors of problems

Post by usrbin »

Agree, at least we should know who is the problem setter of each problem. It shows the respect to the problem author.

hk
Administrator

Post by hk »

Unfortunately only a few proposals made by non-teammembers make it to publication so the use of making the author known to the general public is very limited.
I think the proposals made by teammembers can better be considered as work by the team as a whole.
Those members having made several proposals that got published often have found themselves to be invited to join the team sooner or later, just because they are so rare and have shown to be able to design problems.

The concept of a problem setter seems to originate from another category of sites without a developing team where everybody can enter problems.

usrbin

Post by usrbin »

hk wrote:Unfortunately only a few proposals made by non-teammembers make it to publication so the use of making the author known to the general public is very limited.
I think the proposals made by teammembers can better be considered as work by the team as a whole.
Those members having made several proposals that got published often have found themselves to be invited to join the team sooner or later, just because they are so rare and have shown to be able to design problems.

The concept of a problem setter seems to originate from another category of sites without a developing team where everybody can enter problems.
I think there is a team or committee (or something like that) whose members propose problem for more than 350000 members. Should their names be listed? What I know about them is just "talented mathematicians and programmers" on the "about" page. Frankly speaking, I am curious about their names and would love to give my best thanks to them :D

hk
Administrator

Post by hk »

The problem development team has had many different members during the past ten years. I'm not going to list them all because I'm afraid I might forget one or another.
Sometimes members drop out and new members are then invited.
However, one shouldn't forget that the site is building on the work of members that have left the problem development team because life has taken a different course for them.

Current members of the problem development team are (I'm giving their user names so that you can recognise them in the fora):
mpiotte (Canada)
mverschaeve (Belgium)
marcus andrews (US)
kevinsogo (admin) (Philippines)
kawazoe (admin) (Japan)
xan (admin) (US)
hk (admin) (Netherlands)

In the lists of members who have solved so and so many problems they are marked with either a golden star (admins) or a grey star (other development team members).
However one shoudn't forget Colin Hughes (England) aka euler who has founded the site and all on his own has developed the software the site is running on and also is doing the maintenance all alone.

SoboLAN

Post by SoboLAN »

hk wrote: However one shoudn't forget Colin Hughes (England) aka euler who has founded the site and all on his own has developed the software the site is running on and also is doing the maintenance all alone.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bus_factor

usrbin

Post by usrbin »

hk wrote:The problem development team has had many different members during the past ten years. I'm not going to list them all because I'm afraid I might forget one or another.
Sometimes members drop out and new members are then invited.
However, one shouldn't forget that the site is building on the work of members that have left the problem development team because life has taken a different course for them.

Current members of the problem development team are (I'm giving their user names so that you can recognise them in the fora):
mpiotte (Canada)
mverschaeve (Belgium)
marcus andrews (US)
kevinsogo (admin) (Philippines)
kawazoe (admin) (Japan)
xan (admin) (US)
hk (admin) (Netherlands)

In the lists of members who have solved so and so many problems they are marked with either a golden star (admins) or a grey star (other development team members).
However one shoudn't forget Colin Hughes (England) aka euler who has founded the site and all on his own has developed the software the site is running on and also is doing the maintenance all alone.
Oh, happy to get their names :D Thank you all for the enjoyable problems and your dedications to the PE site!

MuthuVeerappanR

Post by MuthuVeerappanR »

Even though it is not feasible to credit all the authors, will the names be disclosed if asked? Say for example, I'm just curious about who designed the Problem 495 (View Problem) and Problem 478 (View Problem) (two of the best problems I've encountered AND solved in PE)? My list is long but I'm sure PE won't encourage such question coz that would take enormous man-hours to answer all of them.
It is not knowledge, but the act of learning, not possession but the act of getting there, which grants the greatest enjoyment.