New awards.

Announcements, comments, ideas, feedback, and "How do I... ?" questions
euler
Administrator

Re: New awards.

Post by euler »

Slaunger wrote:I am wondering weather the chatterbox award does anything good? ... I therefore propose retiring it...
Most of the team have taken time out of the limited time they already have for problem development and engaged in extensive discussions about the posting awards in general. We all agreed that the "Chatterbox" award should be removed and it has. With reference to the other suggestion, and other ideas which transpired as a result of the discussions, it was felt that there are significant pros and cons about any type of award relating to posting and whether or not they should be linked to kudos. Consequently it has been decided that no further changes will take place at the moment.
impudens simia et macrologus profundus fabulae

Slaunger

Post by Slaunger »

euler wrote:...We all agreed that the "Chatterbox" award should be removed and it has. ..., it was felt that there are significant pros and cons about any type of award relating to posting and whether or not they should be linked to kudos. Consequently it has been decided that no further changes will take place at the moment.
Thanks for taking my observation so serious and acting so swiftly. I think it is a good idea that you have removed the Chatterbox award. I also agree it is non-trivial to fully consider the pros and cons for alternative awards relating to posting and kudos, and there is no urgent need for a replacement award.

euler
Administrator

Post by euler »

No problem. And thank you for the suggestion of retiring the "Chatterbox" award; it generated some useful discussion.

Slaunger

Post by Slaunger »

And that gave me a good reason to go through my permanent posts and check if I had 'something new to add'. Two deleted in the process :)

nicolas.patrois

Post by nicolas.patrois »

Why not reorganizing the medals? The gold medal is not with Chart topper and One in a hundred.
The Prime obsession and its family may be grouped, and so on.

gnome

Post by gnome »

Will Ten Out Of Ten be awarded retroactively? I currently have State of the Art (solve 25 most recent) but not Ten Out Of Ten (solve 10 most recent). :)

Obviously State of the Art is not a necessary condition, I figure correct retroactive awarding would take some extra work.

euler
Administrator

Post by euler »

Yes, it would be quite a task awarding "Ten out of Ten" retrospectively as I would need to check the timestamp of the most recently solved problem in each block of ten consecutively solved problems against the release date of the next problem. Anyway, I've manually added the award for you. Certainly anyone who has earned one of the most impressive awards: "State of the Art", deserves it.

gnome

Post by gnome »

Neat, thank you. :D

euler
Administrator

Post by euler »

No problem. And for the rest of you who had previously earned "State of the Art" I have retrospectively added "Ten out of Ten".

gamasta

Post by gamasta »

I'm new to projecteuler and to this message board. This site is a great resource! The awards help a lot to motivate between the level gaps. Here are a few random suggestions for awards:

Palindrome master: Solved all 3-digit palindromes (or a certain number)

Even sided: solved 100 even-numbered problems (to motivate filling the gaps of attempting 50 lucky or prime numbers)

Geometrician: solved all current triangular, square and pentagonal numbers

Pascal fan: solved all problems given by Pascal triangle up to the twelve'th line.

Collatz hopper: Solved all problems given by the collatz conjecture with seed 472 (or maybe a few more seeds with all members < 481)

Decimation III and IV are self explanatory.

Cup half empty: solved half the problems

Addicted: gained a full level within seven days (of course somebody could prepare solutions ahead...)

Consistent: solved at least one problem every day over 7 consecutive days
Last edited by gamasta on Fri Sep 26, 2014 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

euler
Administrator

Post by euler »

There are some good suggestions there, gamasta; I'll certainly keep them in mind. However, "Addiction" would not work particularly well. In the past we had some members who found answers to Project Euler problems on another website and thought it would be a good idea to enter a whole bunch of them to make it look like they could actually solve the problems. Fortunately no one is that stupid any more, but we wouldn't want to encourage others to follow in the footsteps of fools. :wink:

gamasta

Post by gamasta »

Thinking a bit further about achievements (by the way I added a few more to my previous post) ...
Another way of solving the lack of mid-level achievements would be to award "badges" multiple times to one user. Say you solved all problems 100-200, you'd be granted in total 10x Decathlete, 33x baby steps (probably too often), 8x daring dozen, 10x decimation I. Imagining new awards/badges with this concept is also easy.

Say for the Collatz Conjecture award suggested in my previous post, you'd have to solve every problem given by a seed (iterated over the Collatz rule), e.g. solve 32, 16, 8, 4, 2, 1 grants you one Collatz award. You could be granted this particular award multiple times for solving one problem (if it was the missing link for several Collatz branches), say if solving backwards... on an empty account solve 32, 16, 8, 4, 2 and on solving nr. 1 you're granted Collatz 5 times :)

A few more bytes per user and a lot more calculations for the server, I suppose... :)

angzhiping

Post by angzhiping »

How about a contiguous award on top of centurion (i.e. Block of 200/300/400)? It is way harder to solve consecutive problems compared to hopping around and solving the low hanging fruits.

Even better, Eulerians can be ranked by a metric which takes into account of the difficulty of problem solved.
170825_b3d528c2bf87aaeff2a0ff93382fba94

Bubbler

Post by Bubbler »

angzhiping wrote:How about a contiguous award on top of centurion (i.e. Block of 200/300/400)? It is way harder to solve consecutive problems compared to hopping around and solving the low hanging fruits.
Getting 200 consecutive would be much harder than 100 or even 150, mainly due to a few high tiers at 150-200 range, for example 167(Ulam sequences), 194(Coloured configurations), or even 198(Ambiguous numbers), having just over 600 solvers throughout more than 6 years.

"Solve 50 consecutive problems with problem number >100" would be a good compensation for intermediate solvers who just got the first Centurion, and "...with problem number >150" being the next challenge. Someone will get the latter even skipping those early near-untouchable problems, who knows?

jdixon

Post by jdixon »

(Sorry if this is in the wrong place)

Could someone confirm how Decimation II works? I read it to mean one problem from each of 20X, 21X, 22X...29X, so at least 10 problems with one from each decade between 200->300. I've completed it to my understanding but it's not shown up.

Thanks

jaap

Post by jaap »

jdixon wrote:(Sorry if this is in the wrong place)

Could someone confirm how Decimation II works? I read it to mean one problem from each of 20X, 21X, 22X...29X, so at least 10 problems with one from each decade between 200->300. I've completed it to my understanding but it's not shown up.

Thanks
The way I read it, you're off by one as it is not over the range 200-299 but over 201-300. So you need to one of 201-210, one of 211-220, ...., one of 291-300.

euler
Administrator

Post by euler »

jaap is right. I couldn't check your profile because you must have a different username on the main website to the one you're using here, but the best way to visualise it is to look at the block on your progress page from 201 to 300 (the third block of 100 problems). Imagine a line drawn down the middle of the box, separating 210 from 211, 220 from 221, and so on. You need to have solved at least one problem in each half of every row in that block for the Award to unlock.

jdixon

Post by jdixon »

Ah ok, I've got 250 but nothing in 251-260 so that'll be it.
Thanks for your help!

utomaya

Post by utomaya »

About a year ago I was in Eulerian top 10(highest is Rank#6) and earned 230 points according to the rules written in the Eulerian table, but this record cannot be kept forever because the Eulerian table was updated very frequently.

Can you add two awards?
(1). Eulerian top 10
(2). Performance 100% ( Performance 100% doesn't mean solving all the problems, it has the same definition as in Eulerian table : for each table they appear within the first fifty they earn 10% and each top ten position earns an additional 10% in recent 10 problems)

The fastest table was introduced since Problem #277, I think there must be more awards related to the fastest table.

MHealy

Post by MHealy »

I would like to second utomaya's thoughts. Perhaps more explicitly than in just awards (not least because the two suggested awards are well beyond my reach :wink:), it would be nice to have some permanent record stored of the highest Eulerians total you have achieved; whether this is a public table, or just a personal memento on your profile, I think it would be a worthwhile addition.