Functional requests

Announcements, comments, ideas, feedback, and "How do I... ?" questions
hk
Administrator

Functional requests

Post by hk »

Currently we are not able to handle any functional requests that imply changing the functioning of the website or this forum.

If you have any functional request please don't start a new topic for it, but make an entry in this topic.
If our situation changes, they will be gone through.
Don't expect an answer as the first line of this post is clear, I suppose.
Please don't start any pleading discussions either.
Keep this thread clear of everything else including questions like "Why not"
Accept the situation and the website as is for the time being.

In the meantime: Keep yourself busy solving our problems.
gostello

Re: Functional requests

Post by gostello »

Last edited by gostello on Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
volterwd

Post by volterwd »

How about changing 'difficulty' to reflect the opinions of those who have solved it as opposed to simply the lack or abundannce of the number of people who solved it (which has I would imagine over 80% correlation with date posted)
JimE

Post by JimE »

In the league and other tables showing various statistics, can we show when the user LAST solved a problem?
hk
Administrator

Post by hk »

JimE wrote:In the league and other tables showing various statistics, can we show when the user LAST solved a problem?
Yes, you can. Simply hover with your mouse over the username and it will show up.
LarryC

Post by LarryC »

This isn't especially functional (but might be categorized that way) but would it be possible to change the robots.txt file of ProjectEuler.net so that search engines can index the site? Currently it is:
User-agent: *
Disallow: /
So every abiding search engine will just skip indexing.
mjg123

Post by mjg123 »

Hi. Yes I read the first line of the post.
But I think it would be cool once you have solved a problem to see the most-often-entered wrong answers, and be able to comment on them like "yes, this answer is wrong, it is what you get if you forget to do blah blah", just for fun, like.
jkadams

Post by jkadams »

It would be nice if we could see when we (or even other users) solved a certain problem, rather than just seeing "last solved."
euler
Administrator

Post by euler »

I'm afraid that the date/time stamp for individual problems is not stored. For the few benefits, it would create a massive overhead on the database. Based on current figures of 71865 members, 252 problems, and 8 bytes for each time stamp, it would require about 138MB of extra space. Believe it or not I've managed to squash the entire current membership database into just under 45MB!
impudens simia et macrologus profundus fabulae
jkadams

Post by jkadams »

Impressive! But that's a shame, I kinda wanted to see my progress over time. I also assumed the data was stored for anti-cheating purposes, but I guess not.
mad fox

Post by mad fox »

The FoxPro programming language is not on the list. It should be.
hiro2k

Post by hiro2k »

Sorry I posted a thread without thinking that it is a functional request.

I have another one: Could you add a link to forums on the main website.

I've been a member here for a while now and I just noticed the forums today when I clicked on the contact link.
elr

Post by elr »

what would be good to have is more pdf's ,sadly i solved some problems with brute force and in some problems threads
understanding someone else code (mostly its without explain or even worst its j/k code) is very difficult,having a pdf
that explain how a solution achived (in elegant way) would be very helpful for learning
daniel.is.fischer

Post by daniel.is.fischer »

Could you (anybody who wants) give a short list (five items or so) which problems you'd most want a pdf for?
Il faut respecter la montagne -- c'est pourquoi les gypaètes sont là.
quilan

Post by quilan »

daniel.is.fischer wrote:Could you (anybody who wants) give a short list (five items or so) which problems you'd most want a pdf for?
I think the only one that's still burning a hole in my head is Robert_Gerbicz's remarkable solution for 184. I swear I've looked over it a dozen times and I don't think I'm even close to grasping it.
ex ~100%'er... until the gf came along.
daniel.is.fischer

quilan wrote:
daniel.is.fischer wrote:Could you (anybody who wants) give a short list (five items or so) which problems you'd most want a pdf for?
I think the only one that's still burning a hole in my head is Robert_Gerbicz's remarkable solution for 184. I swear I've looked over it a dozen times and I don't think I'm even close to grasping it.
I would've thought you were more likely to offer writing one or two overviews rather than requesting one for a special problem :lol:
elr

Post by elr »

well problems that would be good to have a pdf for are : 141,134,216
daniel.is.fischer

Okay, thanks. But don't expect them too soon, writing overviews is a laborious process.
quilan

Post by quilan »

daniel.is.fischer wrote:I would've thought you were more likely to offer writing one or two overviews rather than requesting one for a special problem :lol:
Haha, yeah. Personally, I'd love to be able to contribute to the PDF writing process, but my technical math background is shockingly limited -- I'm more of a intuitive guesser rather than analyzer of proper math. If I were to contribute to anything, it'd most likely have to be heavily edited to give it a solid theoretical background. That being said, I have periodically browsed through the list to see if there was anything I felt I can contribute to. I'll shoot 'ya a PM if I find something.
ex ~100%'er... until the gf came along.
Svish

Post by Svish »

How about a bragging badge we can put on our websites or forum signatures? :D

(Not that I currently have much to brag about, but for the future :lol: )