Errors/Warnings/Bugs

Announcements, comments, ideas, feedback, and "How do I... ?" questions
Jochen_P

Re: Errors/Warnings/Bugs

Post by Jochen_P » Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:51 am

Minor hickup at the moment..

seems that the profile pictures are currently not generated.

(like in https://projecteuler.net/profile/Jochen_P.png)

euler
Administrator

Post by euler » Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:36 am

Thanks, Jochen_P. It should be fixed now.
impudens simia et macrologus profundus fabulae

hk
Administrator

Post by hk » Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:46 am

amagri wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:19 pm
Hi Euler team!

This message to inform you that I encountered a bug or at least strange behaviors on the Euler website.
I sent you a PM.

infinigon

Post by infinigon » Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:31 pm

Seems like the SSL certificate for projecteuler.net has expired. Could it be renewed?

Accessing https://www.projecteuler.net, I get the following:

Unsecured HTTP does still work.

This is problematic for users of the addon HTTPS Everywhere, which auto-redirects to HTTPS for projecteuler.net due to the following rule:
https://atlas.eff.org/domains/projecteuler.net.html

pismobiker

Privacy Error

Post by pismobiker » Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:45 pm

I'm getting a certificate error in both Chrome and IE when I try to get to the PE site.

mdean

Post by mdean » Thu Sep 05, 2019 4:47 pm

I had something similar for these message boards maybe 2 or 3 weeks ago. Which begs the question, "How do we make someone aware of a problem with the message boards when we can't access them?"

euler
Administrator

Post by euler » Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:01 pm

I apologise for the SSL certificate issue today. I can assure you that our current certificate (due for renewal in March 2020) is perfectly valid. We had an internal migration today between servers and it should have happened silently. However, there seemed to be an issue with the configuration of the SSL server settings and it was referring to an older certificate. I didn't know about the problem until I arrived in from work. I contacted our hosts straight away and they were able to immediately discover the cause of the problem and fix it. It should all be working fine now.

@mdean: The issue you had with these message boards was due us previously using Let's Encrypt for this domain. It's a free service that most website use, but because it operates on an auto-renewal basis that can on rare occasions fail for a few hours between renewals. We decided this wasn't acceptable so we purchased a certificate that would be installed and supported by our hosts. There should be no further issues in relation to that.

However, your question about how to contact is a good one. I will talk with the team about adding an emergency contract email system.

mdean

Post by mdean » Fri Sep 06, 2019 3:35 pm

One more thing. Has anyone else noticed the images in people's signatures aren't displaying? I went into my profile to find the source of the image and tried opening it in another browser tab and got:

Not Found
The requested URL was not found on this server.
Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request."

euler
Administrator

Post by euler » Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:23 pm

Do you mean the profile images? I can see your profile image now. Was it not working earlier, but is working now, or is it something else you were referring to?

rayfil
Administrator

Post by rayfil » Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:16 am

He most probably mean images normally displayed as part of someone's signature at the very bottom of each post. I can't see those images either, appearing only as an image icon with the title "image".

A link had been posted by Jochen_P previously in this thread on Wed, 21 Aug 2019. That link is still reporting an error.
When you assume something, you risk being wrong half the time.

euler
Administrator

Post by euler » Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:49 am

That's strange. It was working yesterday when I made my last post. Then this morning it wasn't working. I can't even be sure what I did, but it seems to be working again. We'll have to keep an eye on it. Please report here if the images stop working again.

andoni_s

Post by andoni_s » Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:45 pm

Hi everyone. While I was researching to solve a problem I stumbled upon its answer on Wikipedia. Not really how to solve it (although an important part of the process was described in that page), but the exact solution explicitly stated.

I would mention its number and the respective page, but this part of the forum is public.
I'm not sure if that is an issue, or where to report it, so I came here. Do you think that is a problem?

LilStalker

Post by LilStalker » Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:30 pm

Yes, many of the problems here are based on well known formulas, theorems, algorithms and so on. If you are researching a problem, you are learning and you might also come indirectly across the solution. It happens.

I don't think there is anything you can do about it.

But researching a topic and searching for a solution are 2 very different things. In my opinion there is nothing wrong with researching a problem and also discovering the solution (as long as that solution was not posted explicitly as solution to Project Euler problem xxx).

However if you are looking for "How to solve PE problem xyz", then you are in the wrong.

andoni_s

Post by andoni_s » Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:12 pm

Yes, I agree with you. Ultimately, I believe that people actually trying to solve the problem will continue even after seeing the solution, until they can find it themselves. I just though of mentioning it here, to know what was the opinion about these cases.

The page I'm talking about presented a list of the first N numbers that fulfilled a given condition, and the problem asked to obtain one of those numbers. It did not mention Project Euler, and the main topic of the page wasn't even directly referenced in the problem description.

I still solved it, by the way.

yaronram

Post by yaronram » Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:16 am

Hello,
I have two issues/bugs:
1. I have solved 100 problems already, but if I check my position in statistics/locations it says I only solved 99 problems, is it a sync issue?
2. I got the "On The Ball" badge even though I didn't deserve it, can you remove it please?

Thanks,
Yaron

hk
Administrator

Post by hk » Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:58 am

yaronram wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:16 am
Hello,
I have two issues/bugs:
1. I have solved 100 problems already, but if I check my position in statistics/locations it says I only solved 99 problems, is it a sync issue?
Yes, I think so. Should be OK now.
2. I got the "On The Ball" badge even though I didn't deserve it, can you remove it please?
That's strange. Done as you have requested.

hiddewie

Post by hiddewie » Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:28 pm

Hello,

I have a question about the mobile view of the application. Although it has improved a lot over the past few years, there are still some quirks.

For example:
- The popup containing info about the problem falls off the screen
- The inputs may become larger than the screen
- Background color for expanded mobile menu is larger than menu itself
- Popup for 'levels' falls off the screen

Also see the attachments.

I am willing to contribute some (S)CSS knowedge to the frontend if required.
Attachments
Annotation 2019-10-11 192809.png
Annotation 2019-10-11 192809.png (30.14 KiB) Viewed 265 times
Annotation 2019-10-11 192648.png
Annotation 2019-10-11 192648.png (38.01 KiB) Viewed 265 times
Annotation 2019-10-11 192152 2.png
Annotation 2019-10-11 192152 2.png (38.61 KiB) Viewed 265 times
Annotation 2019-10-11 192152 3.png
Annotation 2019-10-11 192152 3.png (31.53 KiB) Viewed 265 times

euler
Administrator

Post by euler » Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:04 pm

I'm glad you appreciate the effort. I've fixed most of those issues, but I can't replicate the answer box not fitting. As it's not a major CSS update I've not changed the file tag to force a browser update, so you'll probably need to hard refresh the cache to fix the hamburger/colour height mismatch.

One of the issues is that some of the images will never appear perfectly on very small mobile devices. That particular problem is a good example. You simply cannot make images like that any smaller as the viewport shrinks because they become useless for the information they communicate. If you have any simple recommendations/fixes then I'd be more than happy to hear some suggestions, but after the weeks and weeks I put into overhauling the stylesheets recently it'd be very low priority. As you can imagine there's always other jobs that will require my attention.

hiddewie

Post by hiddewie » Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:12 am

Thanks! Of course I understand completely if other issues have higher priority.

As for the images becoming too small on small screens. They can be embedded in an image container with max-width: 100%, and overflow-x: auto. The image itself can become its natural size, and when needed the container will scroll. (This is the way Bootstrap makes its tables responsive).

The way I made the screenshots is using Chrome (on Desktop), start the Developer Console (F12), enable the Device toolbar (Ctrl Shift M), and then select a small device (vertical orientation).

As far as I can see, the issue with the text boxes are the form on the bottom of the page, which is nested in a table with a fixed 400px width. If I modify the width of that table, the problem disappears.

euler
Administrator

Post by euler » Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:56 pm

hiddewie wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:12 am
As far as I can see, the issue with the text boxes are the form on the bottom of the page, which is nested in a table with a fixed 400px width. If I modify the width of that table, the problem disappears.
Nested tables... Ugh! I have no idea when that unnecessary HTML crept in. They have been removed. I've slightly modified the scripts and CSS to centre those table and removed the enforced width, for which there was no good reason. Thank you for pointing that out.
hiddewie wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:12 am
As for the images becoming too small on small screens. They can be embedded in an image container with max-width: 100%, and overflow-x: auto. The image itself can become its natural size, and when needed the container will scroll. (This is the way Bootstrap makes its tables responsive).
That seems to be a really good fix. Thanks for sharing that.