Errors/Warnings/Bugs

Announcements, comments, ideas, feedback, and "How do I... ?" questions
hankinsohl

Re: Errors/Warnings/Bugs

Post by hankinsohl »

euler wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:45 pm It was reported in another thread, but thank you for taking the time to let me know. It should have been fixed now.
It's working now. Thanks for the quick response!
lineus

Post by lineus »

just a heads up, seeing this on my console:

The SSL certificate used to load resources from https://projecteuler.net will be distrusted in M66. Once distrusted, users will be prevented from loading these resources. See https://g.co/chrome/symantecpkicerts for more information.

I just joined the site this week and I love it. Thanks!
euler
Administrator

Post by euler »

That's good to know. I was not aware of this. Thanks, lineus.
impudens simia et macrologus profundus fabulae
Ellenion

Post by Ellenion »

So, I was just reporting a post when I saw a typo in the reports section:
Once you have carefully reviewed the post below, and only if you are certain that you wish to proceed with reporting it as an inppropriate post, please enter the confirmation code and click the Confirm button to complete the process.
I'm not sure this is the place to post this but is it possible to fix this?
Thanks!
UltraV AKA Ellenion
euler
Administrator

Post by euler »

This is the place. Thanks for reporting the typo: fixed, and the post: removed. Much appreciated.
Ellenion

Post by Ellenion »

euler wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:05 am This is the place. Thanks for reporting the typo: fixed, and the post: removed. Much appreciated.
No problem!
SirIsaac

Post by SirIsaac »

I think the text of the problem is wrong or at least ambiguous because it should state that the (x,y) couples are not considered ordered, i.e. that it counts (x,y) and (y,x) as a single solution.
In problem 108 this is clarified with the example (even if stating it in the text wouldn't be bad even there), while in problem 110 the most reasonable assumption would be to consider the two permutation different solutions (since it is expressed as an equation), and this would make your solution wrong.

I already made a topic on "Clarification" but maybe here it is more appropriate. I'm sorry for the repetition.
hk
Administrator

Post by hk »

SirIsaac wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:51 pm I think the text of the problem is wrong or at least ambiguous because it should state that the (x,y) couples are not considered ordered, i.e. that it counts (x,y) and (y,x) as a single solution.
In problem 108 this is clarified with the example (even if stating it in the text wouldn't be bad even there), while in problem 110 the most reasonable assumption would be to consider the two permutation different solutions (since it is expressed as an equation), and this would make your solution wrong.

I already made a topic on "Clarification" but maybe here it is more appropriate. I'm sorry for the repetition.
The right place was in the "Clarification" forum. Here it's not the right place.
So the repetition is superfluous.
War ruins the life and health of untold numbers of innocent children.
SirIsaac

Post by SirIsaac »

hk wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:23 pm
SirIsaac wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:51 pm I think the text of the problem is wrong or at least ambiguous because it should state that the (x,y) couples are not considered ordered, i.e. that it counts (x,y) and (y,x) as a single solution.

The right place was in the "Clarification" forum. Here it's not the right place.
So the repetition is superfluous.
Well, it's not really a clarification since I'm not asking any question, but only giving a feedback for something I consider to be an error.
Ellenion

Uhhhhhhhhhhh........

Post by Ellenion »

So there is this Project Euler user named Jeetsagar, who has solved 54 problems, all of them 5 percenters. So, I scroll down to the posts' section, and there is a permanent post for problem 349. What's funny, is that the user hadn't solved problem 349 yet. What is going on with that user? Is it because the user reset his/her progress, leaving the post in the thread?
Last edited by Ellenion on Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
euler
Administrator

Post by euler »

It's quite possible that he/she reset progress. There is no way for us to know as it's a personal decision. However, as you indicated, resetting your account will not remove your posts.
traxex

Post by traxex »

I prefer displaying PDF files in my browser instead of downloading them. However, the PDF overviews are served with a HTTP header that instructs the browser to download the file, forcing me to open it manually and cluttering my downloads.

The header causing this is: Content-Disposition: attachment; filename="015_overview.pdf";

Changing "attachment" to "inline" allows the browser to display the file directly. I'm sure that all browsers know how to handle PDF files and make downloading them trivial if that's what the user prefers, so no functionality would be lost.
Technically, everyone is full of himself.
euler
Administrator

Post by euler »

I'll have to consult the team on this. I had a look at the script and it seems that I've previously changed Content-Disposition from inline to attachment. There must have been a reason for this. I'll get back.
traxex

Post by traxex »

That's interesting. Perhaps there was an issue with some specific browser version in the past?

I noticed that you made the change already, thanks a lot! I visit Project Euler from shared or public computers quite often and being able to read the overviews without downloading them is nice.
jpeg13

Post by jpeg13 »

On the Statistics page, I noticed the following behaviour: below "Did You Know... ?", one reads
Currently 1% of members have solved 172 problems or more, earning the One Percenter award.
when one is currently viewing statistical data for all registered members, and
Currently 1% of members have solved 113 problems or more, earning the One Percenter award.
when one is currently viewing statistical data for active members only.
I would expect the two statements to be swapped, looking at the Problems statistics.
Furthermore, the first statement might be misleading, as active members currently also need to solve 113 problems only to earn the One Percenter award (well, I guess, and might experience it soon :wink: )
Edit: I just noticed that the target in the progress hover for the One Percenter award below "Problem Solving Awards" on the Progress page is now at 172, it used to be 113 until recently. Maybe this was an intentional change and I'll need to work harder for this award.
euler
Administrator

Post by euler »

Sorry about that. It was a glitch caused by introducing the active member only view. It was updating the one percent threshold based on active member data, whereas it should only be doing it based on all registered members. It should be fixed now. So the good news is that you're as close to getting it as you were the other day. Good luck, jpeg13, and thanks for letting me know.
jpeg13

Post by jpeg13 »

It works now again as it used to. Thank you, euler!
LilStalker

Post by LilStalker »

This thing happens when you check country statistics for Poland:

http://prntscr.com/ijey0e

I did not find any more examples of this bug.

EDIT: This only happens when active members statistics is on.
euler
Administrator

Post by euler »

I'm not quite sure how that happened. For some reason when the cached file was produced it thought there were zero problems; it calculates max_level = floor(n / 25) - 1 and then max_score = 25 * max_level. This could only happen if the cache for the main tables had become temporarily corrupt or unavailable. I've put in a protection to stop it re-generating caches if it detects an issue with n. In the meantime I've reset the cache for Poland and it all looks good again.
traxex

Post by traxex »

The recent problems page used to have a message at the top saying "Problem xyz will be published in H hours, M minutes" when a new problem was near. Problem 624 is coming soon, but I don't see this message. I think it was very useful for people in different timezones.

The News page says that 624 is coming on "7th April 2018, 01:00 pm", which I believe is 16 hours from now.