Errors/Warnings/Bugs

Announcements, comments, ideas, feedback, and "How do I... ?" questions
thundre

Errors/Warnings/Bugs

Post by thundre »

I just got this after entering a correct answer for problem362:
Congratulations, the answer you gave to problem 362 is correct.

You are the 38th person to have solved this problem.

Warning: include(includes/scores_eulerians.php) [function.include]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in (...snip...) on line 81

Warning: include(includes/scores_eulerians.php) [function.include]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in (...snip...) on line 81

Warning: include() [function.include]: Failed opening 'includes/scores_eulerians.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/local/php5/lib/php') in (...snip...) on line 81
euler
Administrator

Re: Warnings after correct answer

Post by euler »

Interesting... that was a reference to one of the old scripts which is no longer used on the new website. Because I had error checking turned off on the previous server we were never seeing that problem. It should be fixed now.

I hope you don't mind, but I've changed your topic into a sticky and renamed it so that if anyone else should notice any errors appearing they can report it here. I also edited your post to hide some references which I would prefer not to be public, but don't worry about posting them, thundre, as I needed that information initially to track down the problem.
impudens simia et macrologus profundus fabulae
thundre

Re: Warnings after correct answer

Post by thundre »

euler wrote:I hope you don't mind, but I've changed your topic into a sticky and renamed it so that if anyone else should notice any errors appearing they can report it here. I also edited your post to hide some references which I would prefer not to be public, but don't worry about posting them, thundre, as I needed that information initially to track down the problem.
Of course not. The sole purpose of my post was to help you maintain the site.

I wasn't certain this topic belonged in "Suggestions and FAQ" or whether you'd prefer a PM. I guess your action making this a sticky topic answers that. Thanks for all the work you do on this site.
deutschluz

Re: Errors/Warnings/Bugs

Post by deutschluz »

Hello,
I m really excited about this site and getting involved in this community. But I have found an issue with the generated codes on the projecteuler site. For instance, during my registration I had to re-enter my info many times and I m pretty sure I had followed directions carefully and explicitly. This bug was confirmed, in my mind, when I tried to submit my first problem and I couldn't get it evaluated as correct or incorrect.

Please let me know how I should fix this.

Things you should prolly know: I m using Windows Vista Sp2 with Google Chrome.

Thanks for your time.
euler
Administrator

Post by euler »

Hi deutschluz, and welcome to Project Euler.

Could you be more specific about the problem you are encountering... are you referring to the point where you enter your answer and a confirmation code? If there is a problem with what you have entered then after you have clicked the Check button (or pressed Return) then you should see a message at the top of the page saying something like, "You left the answer box empty", "You did not enter the confirmation code", or "The confirmation code you entered was not valid". Are you seeing any of these messages? What happens after you click Check?
deutschluz

Post by deutschluz »

euler wrote:Hi deutschluz, and welcome to Project Euler.

Could you be more specific about the problem you are encountering... are you referring to the point where you enter your answer and a confirmation code? If there is a problem with what you have entered then after you have clicked the Check button (or pressed Return) then you should see a message at the top of the page saying something like, "You left the answer box empty", "You did not enter the confirmation code", or "The confirmation code you entered was not valid". Are you seeing any of these messages? What happens after you click Check?
After I click, I get the message: "The confirmation code you entered was not valid".
euler
Administrator

Post by euler »

The CAPTCHA images does have a lifetime and it has possible that the code has expired. This may happen if you loaded the page some time ago, went away from the page to work on the problem, then return to enter your answer and the code on the screen. To ensure that you don't suffer from an expired code problem you can click on the image to obtain a new code, which will refresh the lifetime. Also clicking on the image can also be useful if the code is not clear due to awkward random rotations and positioning of the digits. If this does not solve your problem then please let me know.
deutschluz

Post by deutschluz »

euler wrote:The CAPTCHA images does have a lifetime and it has possible that the code has expired. This may happen if you loaded the page some time ago, went away from the page to work on the problem, then return to enter your answer and the code on the screen. To ensure that you don't suffer from an expired code problem you can click on the image to obtain a new code, which will refresh the lifetime. Also clicking on the image can also be useful if the code is not clear due to awkward random rotations and positioning of the digits. If this does not solve your problem then please let me know.
Well, it just accepted my answer to problem 1. And to number 2! :lol:
Your solution worked perfectly. Thank you very much.
euler
Administrator

Post by euler »

I'm glad that worked for you and you're not the first person to be caught out with expired CAPTCHAs, so I've just modified the scripts to automatically change the image/code every 20 minutes.
LarryBlake

Post by LarryBlake »

I can't get the Java applet in Problem 363 to work. Internet Explorer 9 shows the Java progress ring, then says "An error has occurred" and hangs. Firefox 7 keeps telling me I need to install additional plugins, but when I do it reinstalls Java Runtime and still doesn't run.

I'm running Windows 7.
Jánošík

Post by Jánošík »

LarryBlake wrote:I can't get the Java applet in Problem 363 to work. Internet Explorer shows the Java ring, then says "An error has occurred" and hangs. Firefox keeps telling me I need to install additional plugins, but when I do it reinstalls Java and still doesn't run.
Same thing here...
When I go to the Java-website, it congratulates me for having installed the latest version, so that should be OK.
I have tried Chrome, IE and FF (on Windows Vista). Also tried Chrome and IE on Windows 7
hk
Administrator

Post by hk »

The same applet is included in this document:
Bezier curves
I fail to understand why it fails to run from the website though.
It ran perfectly when the problem was uploaded.
War ruins the life and health of untold numbers of innocent children.
hk
Administrator

Post by hk »

I think I fixed the problem.
For some mysterious reason the website has suddenly started escaping '' and ".
@Colin: did you change something recently?
War ruins the life and health of untold numbers of innocent children.
Jánošík

Post by Jánošík »

Thanks... this one does work :)

edit: the applet in the orriginal problem now also works!
LarryBlake

Post by LarryBlake »

Works for me, too. Thanks!
euler
Administrator

Post by euler »

hk wrote:I think I fixed the problem.
For some mysterious reason the website has suddenly started escaping '' and ".
@Colin: did you change something recently?
The default build of PHP on the new server has a setting I had forgotten to have changed. It should be "fixed" now.
alcinos

Post by alcinos »

Hi,

I think there might be a problem with the captcha code. I tried many times to submit my answer (to problem 81 but I got the same issue with other problems), but always got "The confirmation code you entered was not valid". I tried to reload the whole page and then quickly enter the code but it didn't work.

Besides, the javascript code to refresh the captcha image when clicking it seems to be broken as it doesn't work and triggers an error with FireBug :
"captcha is not defined
https://projecteuler.net/problem=81
Line 108"
Maybe both issues are linked...

Thanks
thedoctar

Post by thedoctar »

I presume this is where I post miscellaneous bugs. For some reason when I click the CAPTCHA image, it doesn't reload. Very minor issues, though slightly annoying. I'm using Firefox 8.0 Windows 7.
4x Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-2330M CPU @ 2.20GHz
fabas indulcet fames
euler
Administrator

Post by euler »

Thanks for reporting the bug, alcinos and thedoctar; and sorry for taking so long to respond, alcinos.

I think I've fixed the Javascript problem and I am (optimistically) hopeful that this might have been related to the confirmation code issue. Could you both please confirm?
alcinos

Post by alcinos »

Indeed, everything seems to be ok now

Thanks a lot