Errors/Warnings/Bugs

Announcements, comments, ideas, feedback, and "How do I... ?" questions
euler
Administrator

Re: Errors/Warnings/Bugs

Post by euler »

It looks at the most recent 5, 10, or 25 problems respectively. Currently there are 754 problems, so if you'd solved, say, 750 and 752 from 750-754 (the most recent 5 problems), you'd have 2/5 progress for High Five.
impudens simia et macrologus profundus fabulae
Silverhawke

Post by Silverhawke »

and if a new problem is published, the progress would be adjusted as well, right?
euler
Administrator

Post by euler »

Yes, that is correct. It is a dynamic measure of the most recent problems. But the good news is that, along with only a few others, they are permanent awards. That is, once you've earned it, you keep it.
user202729

Post by user202729 »

euler wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 11:27 pm This is the first I am hearing about this. How recently have you seen this behaviour? Is it the whole website that seems to struggle or just viewing the latest problem?
* ... I can't recall? I only start competing in the "fastest solvers" table recently (although it has been a long time...), and if the server is "fast like you expect", I wouldn't remember that much...

That having said, it has been happening for several recent problems (which mean a few weeks/months).

* The same problem occur when I try to access the server with Tor. (just a datapoint)
* I think it's only the latest problem, although I usually don't try to visit other pages during that minute.
* Latest minimal page has the same issue.
* Sometimes I get "problem not found" even if the page load start time is strictly after the publication time (and the delay is high).
user202729

Post by user202729 »

About the new tags feature: nice work! It will (hopefully) reduce the number of users who want to cheat.

(my idea was, that if the background knowledge listed in the tags is all the background knowledge required to solve the problem, then the user have gained nothing by viewing the actual solution, because that part of the solution for that specific problem is not applicable to any other problems)

(I intended to do something similar -- listing the list of common-knowledge required to solve all PE problems, but it's just too much work, and I definitely didn't solve the whole problem set)

But there's a typo on the page https://projecteuler.net/about=tags . "sovler" ?
philiplu

Post by philiplu »

jonado1 wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 7:37 pm I just noticed that the information over fastest solvers for a particular problem is displayed incorrectly whenever someone who has solved it in more than one week but less than two weeks enters the scoreboard, i.e. this occurs whenever less than 100 people have solved the problem within a week. What happens is that the counter for number of days is not reset when entering the second week, so an entry corresponding to day eight after the problem was released will display as 1 week, 7 days, x hours, where it should be displayed as 1 week, x hours, etc.

This counter does not reset until the end of the second week, see e.g. https://projecteuler.net/fastest=747 for an example.
Hi, @euler. I noticed a variation of this timestamping bug. I was looking through the Problem Archives list, and noticed a problem that said the last post was 11 hours ago, but the link and time was not in red as is normal for posts less than a day old. Instead, the poster name and time were in the normal black for older posts. This was on problem #355, last post by @SNAIL-ERATO, reported as 11 hours ago as I type this.

When I actually went to that post, I see that it was actually posted 1 week, 11 hours ago. I assume that's the same bug as @jonado1 noticed, just in a different place.
euler
Administrator

Post by euler »

Thanks for reporting that. I think I've found the problem and fixed it. Please let me know if you spot it happening elsewhere.
philiplu

Post by philiplu »

There's a minor bug in the Archives pages. Looks like it's possible to create a user name that's not displayable, and which breaks some of the page functionality. Take a look at this screenshot

Problem 726 doesn't show the number of posts, nor the time since that last post, and the user-name isn't a link to the last post in the forum. When I look at the forum, the last post is from 14 Dec 2020, and has no user name attached. I'm pretty sure I just noticed this a few weeks ago, though, and I don't think it's been this way since December.
euler
Administrator

Post by euler »

As always, I am very grateful to you for reporting issues. The problem was caused because the member who made the last post had deleted his/her account, but chose to leave the posts. It should be fixed now.