Errors/Warnings/Bugs

Announcements, comments, ideas, feedback, and "How do I... ?" questions
Post Reply
thundre
Posts: 356
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:01 am

Errors/Warnings/Bugs

Post by thundre » Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:52 pm

I just got this after entering a correct answer for problem362:
Congratulations, the answer you gave to problem 362 is correct.

You are the 38th person to have solved this problem.

Warning: include(includes/scores_eulerians.php) [function.include]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in (...snip...) on line 81

Warning: include(includes/scores_eulerians.php) [function.include]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in (...snip...) on line 81

Warning: include() [function.include]: Failed opening 'includes/scores_eulerians.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/local/php5/lib/php') in (...snip...) on line 81
Image

User avatar
euler
Administrator
Posts: 2995
Joined: Sun Mar 05, 2006 4:49 pm
Location: Cheshire, England
Contact:

Re: Warnings after correct answer

Post by euler » Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:31 pm

Interesting... that was a reference to one of the old scripts which is no longer used on the new website. Because I had error checking turned off on the previous server we were never seeing that problem. It should be fixed now.

I hope you don't mind, but I've changed your topic into a sticky and renamed it so that if anyone else should notice any errors appearing they can report it here. I also edited your post to hide some references which I would prefer not to be public, but don't worry about posting them, thundre, as I needed that information initially to track down the problem.
Image
impudens simia et macrologus profundus fabulae

thundre
Posts: 356
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:01 am

Re: Warnings after correct answer

Post by thundre » Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:47 pm

euler wrote:I hope you don't mind, but I've changed your topic into a sticky and renamed it so that if anyone else should notice any errors appearing they can report it here. I also edited your post to hide some references which I would prefer not to be public, but don't worry about posting them, thundre, as I needed that information initially to track down the problem.
Of course not. The sole purpose of my post was to help you maintain the site.

I wasn't certain this topic belonged in "Suggestions and FAQ" or whether you'd prefer a PM. I guess your action making this a sticky topic answers that. Thanks for all the work you do on this site.
Image

deutschluz
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2011 7:20 am

Re: Errors/Warnings/Bugs

Post by deutschluz » Sat Dec 17, 2011 7:27 am

Hello,
I m really excited about this site and getting involved in this community. But I have found an issue with the generated codes on the projecteuler site. For instance, during my registration I had to re-enter my info many times and I m pretty sure I had followed directions carefully and explicitly. This bug was confirmed, in my mind, when I tried to submit my first problem and I couldn't get it evaluated as correct or incorrect.

Please let me know how I should fix this.

Things you should prolly know: I m using Windows Vista Sp2 with Google Chrome.

Thanks for your time.

User avatar
euler
Administrator
Posts: 2995
Joined: Sun Mar 05, 2006 4:49 pm
Location: Cheshire, England
Contact:

Re: Errors/Warnings/Bugs

Post by euler » Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:46 am

Hi deutschluz, and welcome to Project Euler.

Could you be more specific about the problem you are encountering... are you referring to the point where you enter your answer and a confirmation code? If there is a problem with what you have entered then after you have clicked the Check button (or pressed Return) then you should see a message at the top of the page saying something like, "You left the answer box empty", "You did not enter the confirmation code", or "The confirmation code you entered was not valid". Are you seeing any of these messages? What happens after you click Check?
Image
impudens simia et macrologus profundus fabulae

deutschluz
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2011 7:20 am

Re: Errors/Warnings/Bugs

Post by deutschluz » Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:00 pm

euler wrote:Hi deutschluz, and welcome to Project Euler.

Could you be more specific about the problem you are encountering... are you referring to the point where you enter your answer and a confirmation code? If there is a problem with what you have entered then after you have clicked the Check button (or pressed Return) then you should see a message at the top of the page saying something like, "You left the answer box empty", "You did not enter the confirmation code", or "The confirmation code you entered was not valid". Are you seeing any of these messages? What happens after you click Check?
After I click, I get the message: "The confirmation code you entered was not valid".

User avatar
euler
Administrator
Posts: 2995
Joined: Sun Mar 05, 2006 4:49 pm
Location: Cheshire, England
Contact:

Re: Errors/Warnings/Bugs

Post by euler » Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:06 pm

The CAPTCHA images does have a lifetime and it has possible that the code has expired. This may happen if you loaded the page some time ago, went away from the page to work on the problem, then return to enter your answer and the code on the screen. To ensure that you don't suffer from an expired code problem you can click on the image to obtain a new code, which will refresh the lifetime. Also clicking on the image can also be useful if the code is not clear due to awkward random rotations and positioning of the digits. If this does not solve your problem then please let me know.
Image
impudens simia et macrologus profundus fabulae

deutschluz
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2011 7:20 am

Re: Errors/Warnings/Bugs

Post by deutschluz » Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:40 pm

euler wrote:The CAPTCHA images does have a lifetime and it has possible that the code has expired. This may happen if you loaded the page some time ago, went away from the page to work on the problem, then return to enter your answer and the code on the screen. To ensure that you don't suffer from an expired code problem you can click on the image to obtain a new code, which will refresh the lifetime. Also clicking on the image can also be useful if the code is not clear due to awkward random rotations and positioning of the digits. If this does not solve your problem then please let me know.
Well, it just accepted my answer to problem 1. And to number 2! :lol:
Your solution worked perfectly. Thank you very much.

User avatar
euler
Administrator
Posts: 2995
Joined: Sun Mar 05, 2006 4:49 pm
Location: Cheshire, England
Contact:

Re: Errors/Warnings/Bugs

Post by euler » Sat Dec 17, 2011 7:03 pm

I'm glad that worked for you and you're not the first person to be caught out with expired CAPTCHAs, so I've just modified the scripts to automatically change the image/code every 20 minutes.
Image
impudens simia et macrologus profundus fabulae

LarryBlake
Posts: 100
Joined: Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:49 pm

Re: Errors/Warnings/Bugs

Post by LarryBlake » Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:25 pm

I can't get the Java applet in Problem 363 to work. Internet Explorer 9 shows the Java progress ring, then says "An error has occurred" and hangs. Firefox 7 keeps telling me I need to install additional plugins, but when I do it reinstalls Java Runtime and still doesn't run.

I'm running Windows 7.
Image

Jánošík
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:22 pm

Re: Errors/Warnings/Bugs

Post by Jánošík » Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:33 pm

LarryBlake wrote:I can't get the Java applet in Problem 363 to work. Internet Explorer shows the Java ring, then says "An error has occurred" and hangs. Firefox keeps telling me I need to install additional plugins, but when I do it reinstalls Java and still doesn't run.
Same thing here...
When I go to the Java-website, it congratulates me for having installed the latest version, so that should be OK.
I have tried Chrome, IE and FF (on Windows Vista). Also tried Chrome and IE on Windows 7

User avatar
hk
Administrator
Posts: 10113
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2006 9:34 am
Location: Haren, Netherlands

Re: Errors/Warnings/Bugs

Post by hk » Sun Dec 18, 2011 2:25 pm

The same applet is included in this document:
Bezier curves
I fail to understand why it fails to run from the website though.
It ran perfectly when the problem was uploaded.
Image

User avatar
hk
Administrator
Posts: 10113
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2006 9:34 am
Location: Haren, Netherlands

Re: Errors/Warnings/Bugs

Post by hk » Sun Dec 18, 2011 2:46 pm

I think I fixed the problem.
For some mysterious reason the website has suddenly started escaping '' and ".
@Colin: did you change something recently?
Image

Jánošík
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:22 pm

Re: Errors/Warnings/Bugs

Post by Jánošík » Sun Dec 18, 2011 3:05 pm

Thanks... this one does work :)

edit: the applet in the orriginal problem now also works!

LarryBlake
Posts: 100
Joined: Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:49 pm

Re: Errors/Warnings/Bugs

Post by LarryBlake » Sun Dec 18, 2011 3:20 pm

Works for me, too. Thanks!
Image

User avatar
euler
Administrator
Posts: 2995
Joined: Sun Mar 05, 2006 4:49 pm
Location: Cheshire, England
Contact:

Re: Errors/Warnings/Bugs

Post by euler » Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:07 pm

hk wrote:I think I fixed the problem.
For some mysterious reason the website has suddenly started escaping '' and ".
@Colin: did you change something recently?
The default build of PHP on the new server has a setting I had forgotten to have changed. It should be "fixed" now.
Image
impudens simia et macrologus profundus fabulae

alcinos
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:21 pm

Re: Errors/Warnings/Bugs

Post by alcinos » Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:38 pm

Hi,

I think there might be a problem with the captcha code. I tried many times to submit my answer (to problem 81 but I got the same issue with other problems), but always got "The confirmation code you entered was not valid". I tried to reload the whole page and then quickly enter the code but it didn't work.

Besides, the javascript code to refresh the captcha image when clicking it seems to be broken as it doesn't work and triggers an error with FireBug :
"captcha is not defined
https://projecteuler.net/problem=81
Line 108"
Maybe both issues are linked...

Thanks

User avatar
thedoctar
Posts: 74
Joined: Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:57 am
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: Errors/Warnings/Bugs

Post by thedoctar » Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:01 am

I presume this is where I post miscellaneous bugs. For some reason when I click the CAPTCHA image, it doesn't reload. Very minor issues, though slightly annoying. I'm using Firefox 8.0 Windows 7.
4x Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-2330M CPU @ 2.20GHz
Image
fabas indulcet fames

User avatar
euler
Administrator
Posts: 2995
Joined: Sun Mar 05, 2006 4:49 pm
Location: Cheshire, England
Contact:

Re: Errors/Warnings/Bugs

Post by euler » Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:56 am

Thanks for reporting the bug, alcinos and thedoctar; and sorry for taking so long to respond, alcinos.

I think I've fixed the Javascript problem and I am (optimistically) hopeful that this might have been related to the confirmation code issue. Could you both please confirm?
Image
impudens simia et macrologus profundus fabulae

alcinos
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:21 pm

Re: Errors/Warnings/Bugs

Post by alcinos » Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:47 am

Indeed, everything seems to be ok now

Thanks a lot

Post Reply