Where's my badge? :)

Announcements, comments, ideas, feedback, and "How do I... ?" questions
LBay

Where's my badge? :)

Post by LBay »

I thought for sure I was among the first 100 to solve Problem 348 (and maybe 349 as well), my post appears at #5 in its discussion forum. However, I never got one of these new "One in a Hundred" badges... So, I looked for a way to contact PE and ask about this, and this is the closest place I could find... Can someone help, or point me in the right direction? Many thanks...
TripleM

Re: Where's my badge? :)

Post by TripleM »

That particular badge is only awarded if you come in the top 100 for a problem after the website update was made - it's the only one that doesn't consider the older problems.

(viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2609&hilit=awards&start=15#p27917)
sivakd

Post by sivakd »

It's not the only one. Even Gold Medal award isn't looking at the older problems. Not sure about Perfection, I don't have visibility into it. I think it's the only award which is deliberately made to show the list only if you belong to it, not sure.
puzzle is a euphemism for lack of clarity
wrongrook

Post by wrongrook »

Even with the perfection achievement I still cannot see the list.

I suspect this is deliberate to avoid encouraging people to cheat.
euler
Administrator

Post by euler »

Correct. There are no public tables for the "Perfection" award, but if someone on your "friends" list has earned it then you will be able to see it on their Progress page.

With reference to the "One In A Hundred" award. Thank you everyone for explaining why it does not operate retrospectively. If anyone has done it once (or twice) it should not be an impossible task for get in the top 100 again. The "Gold" award is a different story entirely. It's certainly very low on my "to do" list, but I may get around to writing a script to award the "Gold" award and/or "One In A Hundred" from the fastest solvers tables.
impudens simia et macrologus profundus fabulae
dmeng

Post by dmeng »

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but is "On the Ball" also like this?
supdude1

Post by supdude1 »

Hello, I also want to resurrect this old thread.

Under the Recent News: Friday 21 February 2014: New Awards, it says:
any members who were previously missing the fastest solver type awards: Gold, One in a Hundred, and the new Chart Topper, but would have earned it if the award was in place at the time will have been awarded it retrospectively.
I still have not received the Chart Topper award for placing #5 on p458. Why is this?
euler
Administrator

Post by euler »

I am sorry about that. When I ran the script to retrospectively scan all the previous fastest solvers tables it only did 277 up to and including 457. I think that when I was testing the script on my local machine I hadn't updated the DB in some time so I was working with an out-of-date problem set. As it happens there were two of you who had missed out: you and "mdix". Anyway you are now both now the proud owners of what you rightly earned.
supdude1

Post by supdude1 »

Awesome! Thanks euler! =)
wrongrook

Post by wrongrook »

Incidentally, I notice that I have now lost my perfection badge :(

I guess the system spotted I have been getting lazy recently and not attempting many problems...
euler
Administrator

Post by euler »

Argh! I'm sorry about that. It should be one of the protected awards. You don't lose it for inactivity and given your impressive ability to tackle the most difficult of problems I think you're using a different definition to what most people would call "lazy". Anyway, I've restored it to your account.
nicolas.patrois

Post by nicolas.patrois »

Protected awards? What are the unprotected ones?
euler
Administrator

Post by euler »

The server checks if you have earned any new awards when you solve a problem and because most of the necessary information is available when you visit your progress page the checks are made there too. This allows for retrospective awarding of newly added awards and updating awards if parameters change; this checking on the Progress page is particularly important for the forum based awards. When checking is made your awards are wiped clean and rebuilt. However, because it is not possible to easily obtain certain information, like the positional awards, certain awards are marked as protected when checks are made. This is true of the "solved the X most recent" awards because you may have earned that in the past and, of course, the (privately displayed) Perfection award. As I had re-organised the awards (partly inspired by your suggestion) I inadvertently forgot to mark Perfection as a protected award which meant that if someone had earned it and visited their Progress page or solved a problem then they would have lost it! :shock:

For others who had fallen victim to this and lost the Perfection award I've just compared a snapshot of the DB from the day before I uploaded the new scripts and the current allocation of the Perfection awards. It seems that there were quite a few who had lost it. You'll be pleased to know that the script has restored all those to who had rightly earned it. Sorry about that.