Website update Saturday 24 September 2011

Announcements, comments, ideas, feedback, and "How do I... ?" questions
Francky

Re: Website update Saturday 24 September 2011

Post by Francky »

Sorry for my english, google said to me "Hors-sujet" was "irrelevant", but "off-topic" sounds better.
I hope there's no problems elsewhere with my english (I was the worst student of my class).

Thanks hk.
ImageEntia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
euler
Administrator

Post by euler »

I think irrelevant was very relevant. :wink:

And your English is very good, Francky.
impudens simia et macrologus profundus fabulae
Lord_Farin

Post by Lord_Farin »

euler wrote:
piyushkumariitb wrote:May you please include the "remember me" feature at login, it's painful to login every time I visit it...
After the many requests you will be please to see that I have included a "Remember me at this computer" option on the Login page.
Thanks Colin. I appreciate your effort to interpret feedback. It has kept PE in my heart for a few years now. Keep it up!
PurpleBlu3s

Post by PurpleBlu3s »

Is the 'remember me' checkbox on the login page supposed to stop you from being logged out after 3 hours or whatever time period it is?
GenePeer

Post by GenePeer »

^ Preferably indefinitely. That's how the "last website" behaved.

I go away for a couple of weeks, and everything changes :lol: It will take a little getting used to.

Issues:
  • The text in the Disclaimer (bottom of homepage) and two columns in the Languages' Statistics page are impossible and hard-to-read, respectively, when the lights are off.
  • Minor Cosmetic Issue: The font in the solution threads is a bit too huge. When I switch the CSS forum message font-size: 1.2em to 1em (using Inspect Elements on google-chrome), it looks normal.
Questions:

Do the icons for levels stand for anything in particular, and who made them? Just out of curiosity.

Lastly, thank you all for this website.
Argaen

Post by Argaen »

Hi, I've noticed that the http://projecteuler.net/profile/username.txt does not display the selected language for the user.
Also, it would be nice to have the fading names in the score tables as they were before the change.

PD: thanks for putting back the "remember me" option.
PPD: the new design looks nice, and the awards really push me into solving more problems.
ImageEst Sularis Oth Mithas.
euler
Administrator

Post by euler »

I've fixed the .txt/.xml profile file to include the language now.

Regarding the "Remember me at this computer" option... it will last for 30 days without visiting PE. If you visit during this time it will be extended 30 days from the date/time of your most recent visit.

@GenePeer: I've fixed the font colour issues in the disclaimer and the "Statistics Languages" page.
The abstract images use for the level/award have no specific relevance, although I did assign some of the award images to particular awards. They are designed by the talented digital artist/illustrator, Cihan Demirok.
euler
Administrator

Post by euler »

The final update (for the moment) has been completed... Project Euler now has a "Friends" feature! 8-)

This allows you to add up to 24 friends and track one another's progress. If you click the image on the right side of the Friends page it will give you more information.

Please let me know if you encounter any bugs or have any comments on this new feature.
Lord_Farin

Post by Lord_Farin »

I just noticed that the time zone specified does not include a daylight saving time option (and GMT does not have this). This prevents me from choosing the correct (GMT+2) Amsterdam setting.
euler
Administrator

Post by euler »

As far as I know PHP will automatically work out the daylight saving adjustment for your timezone.
Lord_Farin

Post by Lord_Farin »

Such is the case; thanks.

EDIT: However, I now see the time correctly (3:18 pm), but still two minor things:
1) The next update is scheduled at 3pm. Hopefully, I will not have to wait for almost an entire day... DST?
2) In the Netherlands, it is more common to use 24-hour clocks. An option for that would be appreciated (although this is *really* minor)
Last edited by Lord_Farin on Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xe3tec

Post by xe3tec »

Can we have a button on the website with a link to the forum? Right in the bar of the other buttons.
PurpleBlu3s

Post by PurpleBlu3s »

euler wrote:I've fixed the .txt/.xml profile file to include the language now.

Regarding the "Remember me at this computer" option... it will last for 30 days without visiting PE. If you visit during this time it will be extended 30 days from the date/time of your most recent visit.
This is not working for me. It forgets me after a few hours (not actually timed).
nemoyatpeace

Post by nemoyatpeace »

euler wrote:
nemoyatpeace wrote:...is it possible to have the countdown to the next problem give the time in the current user's timezone instead of server time?
As requested I've changed it now so that that it will display the time of the new problem on the Problems table page using the timezone the user has selected.
Thanks!
euler
Administrator

Post by euler »

@PurpleBlu3s: The "remember me" process involves generating a "fingerprint" of your computer, which is partly based on your current IP address. Is it possible that your IP address is changing between visits?
PurpleBlu3s

Post by PurpleBlu3s »

euler wrote:@PurpleBlu3s: The "remember me" process involves generating a "fingerprint" of your computer, which is partly based on your current IP address. Is it possible that your IP address is changing between visits?
It potentially could have been since I think I may have been on two different wi-fi networks without realising. The network should remain the same from now so I will report back if it logs me out again.
Koz

Post by Koz »

Help, lost login. Probably when the redesign happened.

Set up an account prob using

xxxxxx -at- xxxx -dot- com or
xxxxx -at- xxxxx -dot- com

I tried to get a password reset but I can't remember what I chose for username or if my username was deleted in the redesign. I can't find any email from Project Euler to help.

I set up a new account with from a diff email address but I solved 25 probs in a week or so and don't want to repeat that if I can avoid.

Is there any way we can find and resurrect my old account and problem solving status?
Last edited by Koz on Sat Oct 08, 2011 4:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
rayfil
Administrator

Post by rayfil »

xxx
Neither of those two is in the data base. Would you have another one which includes xxx?
When you assume something, you risk being wrong half the time.
Koz

Post by Koz »

yeah, I do. I obviously forgot the email acct I used. I have xxxxx -at- xxxxx -dot- com.
Last edited by Koz on Sat Oct 08, 2011 4:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
rayfil
Administrator

Post by rayfil »

@Koz,

I'm sending you an e-mail with your coordinates.
When you assume something, you risk being wrong half the time.