Website update Saturday 24 September 2011

Announcements, comments, ideas, feedback, and "How do I... ?" questions
hk
Administrator

Website update Saturday 24 September 2011

Post by hk »

There will be no new problem released this coming weekend. Instead the Project Euler website is being updated. This will take place on Saturday 24 September 2011 at approximately 10am GMT and it could take up to one hour to complete; during this time the website will not be accessible.

The changes are quite significant and will affect a number of features. They are generally in response to the numerous requests and suggestions that members have been involved in discussing at http://projecteuler.chat. In summary:

(1) There will be a cosmetic change to the colour scheme and general layout.
(2) The URIs will become more human friendly; old links will still work, but it is hoped that members begin using the new ones.
(3) All accounts will need to be authenticated with a valid email address.
(4) A new "levelling" system is being introduced and progressions will take place every 25 problems. The veterans class has been removed and instead there will be an increasing maximum level.
(5) Awards can be earned for solving certain problems; we won't give too much away just yet. (c;
(6) None of the threads will be locked. Instead the first 100 posts will automatically be made permanent and the server will keep the most recent 100 posts after that; older posts will automatically be deleted. Admins can make particularly good temporary posts permanent.
(7) Members can award Kudos (thumbs-up) to worthy posts, which can help inform admins which posts should be kept.
(8) The syntax highlighter has been streamlined.
(9) Members will have slightly more control over their account details, including the ability to change your own username.
(10) The Scores/Statistics page has been merged and expanded slightly.

We hope that you enjoy and appreciate the changes which we believe will help to enhance the experience and fun in solving problems at Project Euler. We would like to thank all the members who have been involved in offering feedback and suggestions during the past year or so and we hope we have addressed most of the common priorities.

With regards,
The Project Euler Team
milhous

Re: Website update Saturday 24 September 2011

Post by milhous »

Greetings from California.

I wanted to let you know that the CAPTCHA authentication is broken, no image will appear when trying to enter the answer. Thanks!
Avidanborisov

Post by Avidanborisov »

Hey, congrats on the new update.

Just a problem, I am waiting about an hour to get the Email Address Validation, but nothing arrived yet. I also tried to resend many times, didn't help.
So I can't log in and submit any answers...
Chrisie

Post by Chrisie »

Have you checked your spam folder? GMail thought the Email Address Validation I received was spam...
Oh, and by the way I have the same problem with the CAPTCHA
Lord_Farin

Post by Lord_Farin »

milhous wrote:Greetings from California.

I wanted to let you know that the CAPTCHA authentication is broken, no image will appear when trying to enter the answer. Thanks!
Reproduced this. I was using FF 6.0.2. Maybe the image calls for the wrong location of the captcha script?
PurpleBlu3s

Post by PurpleBlu3s »

Lord_Farin wrote:
milhous wrote:Greetings from California.

Reproduced this. I was using FF 6.0.2. Maybe the image calls for the wrong location of the captcha script?
I am also having this issue.
Avidanborisov

Post by Avidanborisov »

Chrisie wrote:Have you checked your spam folder? GMail thought the Email Address Validation I received was spam...
Oh, and by the way I have the same problem with the CAPTCHA
Ohh, I feel so stupid now...

Thank you, it actually worked :)
sivakd

Post by sivakd »

WOW at some of the new changes.
LOL at the awards.
I initially didn't know how many awards are there total and of those how many I managed to get. But then, looking at the statics page, I see a total of 21 awards. Now, I need to figure out which of them I am missing. They should have been presented similar to the problems where the table contains all the problems and unsolved problems are color coded. Like that, show all the 21 awards on the Progress page but visually indicate which are not awarded.

thanks
Siva
puzzle is a euphemism for lack of clarity
euler
Administrator

Post by euler »

Thanks for the feedback. The CAPTCHA has been fixed.

As has already been suggested, check your spam folder. However, if you have checked and it still hasn't arrived then do bear in mind that validating your email is a one off thing (unless you change your email in the future) and there may be a lot of users trying to authenticate at the moment. If the server detects a large number of mail requests it may try to handle them in batches. This is not typical and in future you should not have any problems waiting for an email to arrive.
impudens simia et macrologus profundus fabulae
KristopherWindsor

Post by KristopherWindsor »

Hi.
I found an issue: these types of URLs are broken now:
http://projecteuler.net/profile/KristopherWindsor.txt

Please fix it 8-) thanks.
sivakd

Post by sivakd »

FYI, in http://projecteuler.net/problems_analysis , the second table shows the first column as 176.5 and so on. It should just be 176 right?

Edit: Thanks for fixing this. For 351, it shows 11 members. But the "Perfection" award page only shows 3 users.
Last edited by sivakd on Sat Sep 24, 2011 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Avidanborisov

Post by Avidanborisov »

I am not sure if it is a problem, or this is intended, but I don't have an access to any of the problems threads.
sivakd

Post by sivakd »

OK, manually tallied the awards. Two I will probably never get :). I should have been in "One In A Hundred" but I don't have it. Looks like a bug? Also, these award links in the statistics page don't show the users like the other statistics links.

I am having fun looking at the new UI. Great job to all those who worked so hard on this.

Edit: Looks like the statistics pages are being built for the first time. The users are now showing up for the awards links.

Edit 2: In the progress page, the levels have links taking to the user list, but the awards are not hyperlinked.
Last edited by sivakd on Sat Sep 24, 2011 12:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Altruist

Problems with the new web design

Post by Altruist »

Hi,

This is my first post here so first let me say thank you for project euler. It's awesome.

However I am really disappointed with the update to the web pages today. Yesterday, it looked nice and was perfectly usable. Now it looks bad and it is unusable with my usual Stylish (Firefox extension) theme.

To see what I mean, see: http://i.imgur.com/Qc8Ub.png

My OS is configured with a dark theme (bright text on dark background) and so is Firefox because I can't stand watching at white backgrounds for a long time.

Now:
1) I don't have any information about completed problems.
2) The table doesn't fit in the window (might be because I have JS disabled).
3) Having to move the mouse pointer over a number to get information about that problem is tedious.
4) (not on the screenshot) With my stylish theme, the rollover has a transparent background and is almost unreadable.

Please note that I'm not the only person using this dark theme: 15000 downloads from http://userstyles.org/styles/23516/midn ... dark-style . (I know that's not a lot in the grand scheme of things, but anyway...)

I suppose a partial solution to these problems would be to design a specially-crafted theme that preserves (or carefully changes) text color on projecteuler.net, but I'm far from a CSS expert...

Edit: removed paragraph about text colours since I noticed that the "solved" information is conveyed mostly by the background colour.
Last edited by Altruist on Sat Sep 24, 2011 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lord_Farin

Post by Lord_Farin »

Thanks for fixing the captchas. I appreciate the new looks of the site. I have to mention it though: where has the 'remind me' checkbox at login gone?
sivakd

Post by sivakd »

More on awards:

1) Some awards are easy to get than the others. Right now the order of display of these seems to be ad-hoc. May be they should be ordered based on the number of people with those awards
2) Some awards are permanent and others may be granted or revoked with each problem. May be a separation of the permanent awards and those that reflect the performance of newer problems would be good.

Just throwing ideas. May be these can all be collected and implemented for the next overhaul of the website :).
euler
Administrator

Post by euler »

Wow! Every time I go away to fix a problem I come back and there's another post. So much for my thorough testing!

Anyway...

@sivakd:
I'll look into your suggestion about the "Awards" on the Progress page so that you can see which ones you've got and which ones you still don't have.
I've fixed the "Cumulative Problem Analysis" table.
The cache for the "Awards" tables was broken. It's now been fixed - this is why you couldn't see them.
I've added a hyperlink to the image for each Award on the Progress page.
You are right about the order, and I intended to do them in order of the number of members what had solved them, but it proved to be too much processing for the server.
All awards are permanent. The server checks every time you solve a new problem; or the first time you visit the Account page. The reason you haven't got the "One In A Hundred" is that it is one of the rarer awards which depends not on which problems you've solved, but the position you finish. The next time you solve within 100 you will earn that award, but rather than get it to check all fastest solvers tables I decided to do those from scratch.

@KristopherWindsor:I didn't think anyone was using the .txt and .xml profile links. But I've written a script to reproduce them for you.

@Avidanborisov:
Stopping members viewing threads for problems they've already solved would be some dreadful "feature", wouldn't it? Thanks for pointing that out. It's now been fixed.

@Lord_Farin:
I've removed dependence on cookies. But if you only have one login account for Project Euler then your browser should remember it by default. If you have more than one then your browser can still remember your username/password for you.
impudens simia et macrologus profundus fabulae
KristopherWindsor

Post by KristopherWindsor »

euler wrote:@KristopherWindsor:I didn't think anyone was using the .txt and .xml profile links. But I've written a script to reproduce them for you.
Thanks!!
I'm still using that API (since I requested it :P ) for the weekly leaderboard update @ SJSU.

The only reason I noticed it break so fast is because the weekly email of changes was supposed to go out today, and I was double-checking it because I moved to a different server. =)
sivakd

Post by sivakd »

Thanks Euler.

> All awards are permanent.

I thought

Perfection (Solve every problem)
On The Ball (Solve the most recent problem)
On The Ball II (Solve the five most recent problems)
State Of The Art (Solve the most recent twenty-five problems)

could be revoked if someone fails to solve one of the recent problems.
greedp

Post by greedp »

Greetings! I like most of the changes. Thanks all who involved in the great work, you are amazing.

Two old useful features disappeared. I want them back although I have no idea they are intentional changes or bugs.
First, the link of "fastest 20 solvers" doesn't work well. For example, this page(http://projecteuler.net/fastest=346) is identical to my progress page.
Second, the handy "go next" and "go previous" buttons in a problem page are missing.