Statistics on problems solved so far

Announcements, comments, ideas, feedback, and "How do I... ?" questions
henrig

Statistics on problems solved so far

Post by henrig » Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:10 pm

Thank you for all the interesting statistics already shown. :D

I have three suggestions that I would like you to consider:
(a) on the statistics sheet it shows the count of members that has solved a specific number of problems. I would find it interesting to see how many of these members are currently "active". At the moment it shows more that 763 000 having solved one problem. I suspect that many of those members have not solved their single problem recently. A possible definition of an "active" member might be that a member must have solved at least one puzzle in the last 365 days. This exact definition was previously used for the ranking of members per country. This statistic does not have to be updated in real time, a update every week or so would still give a very good idea on the progress of active members.

(b) on my progress sheet, my average difficulty of problems solved is shown. At the moment it only shows this average figure rounded to the nearest one percent. Would it be possible to add at least one (even two) decimal places? I have solved around 200 puzzles and my average percentage (rounded to one percent) does not change very frequently. It would be interesting to see how your average percentage ticks up over time as you solve more and more difficult problems.

(c) It is intesting to know the highest difficulty level of a problem that you have solved. This statistics can remain unchanged for a long time (if you have solved one very difficult problem relative to the other problems you have solved). Is it possible to add another category something like "Number of problems solved with a difficulty level in excess of X% is Y."? The value of X might be fixed for all members say 40% or 50% or 60%. Alternatively it might be linked to the difficulty level of the most difficult puzzle solved (e.g. set X equal to the difficulty level of the most difficult problem solved less 25%). As a side note, it would be interesting to see (on the statistics sheet) the distribution of numbers of members based on the highest difficulty level that each member has solved so far - e.g. have more that 2% of members solved at least one puzzle with a difficulty level of 75% or higher?

euler
Administrator

Re: Statistics on problems solved so far

Post by euler » Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:14 pm

I've made some updates based on your suggestions:
1) The mean difficulty is now displayed to two decimal places.
2) The progress page now shows the number of problems at each difficulty rating from 5% to 100% (in 5% increments) and indicates your progress with each of those levels. I think that many users will find this helpful.

With reference to your other suggestion/request... At the moment, each time a member solves a problem their profile is updated with the total number of problems solved. Similarly, the total number who have solved a particular problem is also updated. However, knowing that A members have solved one 5% problem, B have solved another 5% problem, and so on, does not tell us how many people have solved a 5% problem in total. Similarly for other difficulty ratings. This would require going through every profile and through every problem each member has solved in turn, to determine the difficulty of each problem so that a boolean table could be obtained for each user: 5% true/false, 10% true/false, and so on. Then this could be used to update a master array. But it would be far too DB process intensive.
impudens simia et macrologus profundus fabulae

MuthuVeerappanR

Post by MuthuVeerappanR » Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:36 am

Seems 85% difficulty rating is the most difficult for me.. Solved just 1 out of the 10 problems available which makes Problem 544 (View Problem) even more sweet for me...
It is not knowledge, but the act of learning, not possession but the act of getting there, which grants the greatest enjoyment.

traxex

Post by traxex » Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:21 am

euler wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:14 pm
2) The progress page now shows the number of problems at each difficulty rating from 5% to 100% (in 5% increments) and indicates your progress with each of those levels. I think that many users will find this helpful.
This is a really nice addition.
Technically, everyone is full of himself.

Robert_OConnor

Re: Summer 2017 Website Update

Post by Robert_OConnor » Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:03 pm

On the progress page, problem 617 has the color of not solved problems even if you have solved it.

Is there a better place to post things like this in the future?

euler
Administrator

Re: Summer 2017 Website Update

Post by euler » Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:43 pm

The Errors/Warnings/Bugs thread is probably the best for any bugs/glitches you have found, but I tend to check most threads in this area (News, Suggestions, and FAQ) regularly.

Thanks for letting me know about the bug. It was an unintended consequence of another change I made this morning. It should be fixed now and, hopefully, I've not introduced another bug in trying to fix the bug introduced by fixing the previous bug. :wink:

vapor

Change of Behavior of the new Problem Statics in Progress tab

Post by vapor » Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:25 pm

Yesterday I found a table was added to the Progress tab, showing the numbers of problems solved for each difficulty category. However, I noticed that my number of problems solved for 100% decreased from 18 to 14 just now, I have also observed this change in some friends' profiles. Moving the cursor on the blue info icon no longer shows problem 566, 579, 585 and 597, and the average difficulty is affected too. Is this change intended or a bug? If it's intended, why the total count of is still 18? (Those four problems are the only ones whose difficulties are not finalized)

euler
Administrator

Re: Change of Behavior of the new Problem Statics in Progress tab

Post by euler » Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:33 pm

I'm struggling to keep up with all the threads this is appearing in at the moment. To quote me from earlier...
euler wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:43 pm
Thanks for letting me know about the bug. It was an unintended consequence of another change I made this morning. It should be fixed now and, hopefully, I've not introduced another bug in trying to fix the bug introduced by fixing the previous bug. :wink:
So you've found "another bug in trying to fix the bug introduced by fixing the previous bug". :lol:

Thanks for reporting it. That bug should be fixed, but who knows what else I've broken?!

Obergscheidle

Post by Obergscheidle » Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:38 pm

Whow, the new table about solved problems per difficulty level is awesome, thanks a lot for creating this! What a nice surprise!

However, as of today, the count concerning the one 100% problem I have solved so far has disappeared (it was still there yesterday).
Could it be that the way non-finalised difficulties are handled may have changed since yesterday? Or perhaps it is a bug? Yesterday, the table reported 18 available problems at difficulty level 100%, while today only 14 of them show up. I think 18 was the correct value.

While I am it, I could imagine the table could be transposed, so that it would need only three rows and 21 columns, which would still fit and save some space. Clearly not important, but perhaps worth trying.

Thank you so much for creating this wonderful site! I cannot imagine how I was ever able to live without it...

And best wishes for the new year!
Andreas

sjhillier
Administrator

Post by sjhillier » Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:17 pm

Obergscheidle wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:38 pm

However, as of today, the count concerning the one 100% problem I have solved so far has disappeared (it was still there yesterday).
Could it be that the way non-finalised difficulties are handled may have changed since yesterday? Or perhaps it is a bug? Yesterday, the table reported 18 available problems at difficulty level 100%, while today only 14 of them show up. I think 18 was the correct value.
To try to help Euler cope with all the messages coming in on different threads, I think this question is answered by his reply here.

euler
Administrator

Post by euler » Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:41 pm

Thanks, Steve.

I've moved all the related posts into this thread to try to keep it in one place.

henrig

Post by henrig » Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:43 am

I have just noticed the toggle on the statistics sheet that allows you to switch between statistics for all registered members and active members only. I do not know how long the toggle has been available but I find it very interesting (and that deals with my post at the start of this thread.)

Thanks again for a brilliant site! :D

euler
Administrator

Post by euler » Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:28 pm

You clearly don't read the News page on the main site. :wink:

You're very welcome. It was a splendid idea you had. Worthy of taking the time to implement.

LilStalker

Post by LilStalker » Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:42 pm

Didnt feel like making another thread so I will just post this here.

I think it would be a nice addition that the problem numbers would appear when you hover over the bar at some difficulty.
Right now for example it says "Completed 11% of problems with difficulty rating 100%" but it can be quite time consuming to find out which problems of that difficulty were solved.
I think an addition of something like "Problems : 439, 502" would be great.

euler
Administrator

Post by euler » Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:47 pm

Hovering and showing which problems would result in too much text for those who have solved many problems. Instead what I have done is changed the colouring system when a problem is solved. The shading indicates the difficulty of the problem.

Animus
Administrator

Post by Animus » Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:44 pm

Looks great.

hk
Administrator

Post by hk » Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:21 pm

euler wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:47 pm
Hovering and showing which problems would result in too much text for those who have solved many problems. Instead what I have done is changed the colouring system when a problem is solved. The shading indicates the difficulty of the problem.
Great.
Orange is the color of our royal family. :lol:
It gives me the real orange feeling.

euler
Administrator

Post by euler » Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:07 pm

Glad you guys like it. Along with the tribute to all of our valued members of the community from the Netherlands, it does seem to fit better with the colour scheme of the level award badges too. :wink:

I'll make a brief news announcement to let people know that their page is not broken. Most of the work I do is hidden or subtle, but this one is rather in-your-face.

LilStalker

Post by LilStalker » Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:45 pm

It looks great! Thank you.