Notifications...

Announcements, comments, ideas, feedback, and "How do I... ?" questions
kenbrooker

Notifications...

Post by kenbrooker » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:10 am

I hope that's the right subject above, which I couldn't find as a prior "Subject"?

I'm wondering if there is any Email notification on PE.net, as on PE.chat, when, for example, I quote another member re Problem 101? If not, though I'm sure the Team probably considered and decided against it years ago, I'd like to suggest what an improvement that could be...

On PE.net, there used to be (10 years ago) evidence of give and take, including the giving of Kudos, whereas anymore, from what I see below the 600 level, PE.net has evolved into a sort of One-Way Bulletin Board, a dead end to give and take, partially because you could comment on another's posting and they might very well be interested in your comments but what are the chances they will ever return to that problem thread having moved on to other problems?

I hope I am wrong in the first place, about notifications...
"Good Judgment comes from Experience;
Experience comes from Bad Judgment
..."

Animus
Administrator

Re: Notifications...

Post by Animus » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:40 am

On this site email notification can be customized via the user control panel, submenu "board preferences".

On the main site we decided against keeping any sensitiv data including email adresses (after PE being hacked twice), so we can't provide this service there.

kenbrooker

Post by kenbrooker » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:43 am

oooh... That is a shame but
Much Thanks for the
Speedy Reply!!
..."

kenbrooker

Post by kenbrooker » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:07 pm

Under "Organize/Display type of problem"
I think my question has gotten lost in the ensuing shuffle...

On the last two "Reply"s I received from ProjectEuler.chat, from hk and from euler, I did not receive the usual Email notifications, notifications which I really appreciate... Perhaps the Administrators would like to know this? Perhaps something can be done? Thanks in advance...
..."

euler
Administrator

Post by euler » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:32 pm

As Animus mentioned, if you click on your username in the top right a drop-down menu will appear. Select User Control Panel, then select Board Preferences tab on the top and Edit Notification Options on the left menu. Here you can turn on and turn off whether or not you receive emails.

Generally you will not receive email notifications unless someone specifically hits quotes your post, but if you click Subscribe at the bottom of the thread, it will notify you if any further emails arrive. I'm not aware of any email issues, so I can only imagine that is why you haven't been receiving emails.

N.B. To subscribe to a topic or area, click the spanner icon in the bottom and from there you can subscribe/unsubscribe. You can also unsubscribe from the user control panel.
impudens simia et macrologus profundus fabulae

kenbrooker

Post by kenbrooker » Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:46 am

Thanks for your patience in going over all of that, hopefully helpful to someone else too...

I'm looking good on "Preferences" and "Subscribe;" I just didn't realize there is no notification unless there is a quote...
From your side of it though I can see that without a quote there is no way of knowing if
the next message in a thread is actually a reply to the former...

I've been spoiled too by the notification for Private Messages...
Thanks Again!!
..."