Solving with pencil and paper

In this forum members can discuss topics about specific programming languages.
nargo7

Solving with pencil and paper

Post by nargo7 »

I have a curiosity about solving problems with “pencil/paper”, but my question is not because I am considering the use of this method. And I am sorry if this question has already been answered, I searched in the forum with “pencil/paper”, found 126 matches and read many of them, but could not find the answer I am looking for.

In the “Statistics” section, the “Languages” table indicates that 923 users are registered with “pencil/paper”, and 307 of them have solved more than 25 problems. I find amazing that many of them have solved a very high number of problems, for example thirteen of them have solved more than 200 problems and 62 have solved over 100 problems. Even without knowing which problems they have solved, I am sure that many of these problems require tens of thousands of calculations. This is feasible, as famous mathematicians of over 200 years ago performed calculations with very large numbers, and now is easier with handheld calculators, but anyway I find this amazing.

I have two theories in this respect: the person develops the solving method in paper, like a flowchart without any programming language, and somebody else translates that algorithm in a code and implements it, I think this COULD count as “pencil/paper”; and the second theory is simply that the person initially registered in “pencil/paper” and used that method to solve some problems, but other problems were solved by programming languages and the registration was never updated.

Well, any explanation about how such high number of problems are solved in paper, would be greatly appreciated. If it is actually by using only paper and pencil, I tip my hat (even if I don’t use one) to the person who has over 700 solutions!! I searched with his/her name in Google, I was sure to find a famous mathematician, but didn't find anything.
hk
Administrator

Re: Solving with pencil and paper

Post by hk »

The programming language that is shown is the 'preferred programming language' not the actual language used.
reinermartin

Re: Solving with pencil and paper

Post by reinermartin »

Let me also point out that each user can choose only a single preferred programming language, even while using five different ones. I, for example, have used Python, Rust, Mathematica, and Haskell, but I use Julia for a while now and list Julia as preferred programming language. Basing any statistics on this will likely be distorted.