New Preferred Programming Language Requests

In this forum members can discuss topics about specific programming languages.
AndreasEisele

Re: New Preferred Programming Language Requests

Post by AndreasEisele » Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:08 pm

I wonder about the status of AWK as a preferred PL. It had been requested a year ago, but I did not see a reply. Now a colleague of mine who is a passionate AWK programmer recently joined PE, and it would be nice if he could specify his preferred choice. I myself use AWK a lot for daily programming, but for anything more serious (such as PE :-)) I prefer Python. But anyhow, I would judge AWK as respectable enough to be admitted.
Thanks a lot for your opinion.
Andreas Eisele (Obergscheidle)

gabriel.massana

Post by gabriel.massana » Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:45 pm

It is possible to add Objective-C as a language? Thanks

hallvabo

Post by hallvabo » Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:29 pm

Could you please add Pike?
It is a very nice language to use for Project Euler problems, since it has built-in GMP support.
It can be used like C, but with built-in strings and bignums :)

Rationale:
Wikipedia page
Official site
SPOJ and Ideone has it on their list

euler
Administrator

Post by euler » Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:22 pm

Thank you for the required information. Pike has been added.
impudens simia et macrologus profundus fabulae

gabriel.massana

Post by gabriel.massana » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:11 am

gabriel.massana wrote:It is possible to add Objective-C as a language? Thanks
Could you please add Objective-C? Is that possible?

Thanks

butlermatt

Post by butlermatt » Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:20 pm

Can you please add Dart.

This is the language I use daily at work. It's a web programming language which, while it can compile to JS/EcmaScript, it also has it's own VM that it runs in which will soon be running along side existing vm's in the Chrome browser. Additionally it works on the server side without any compilation using its own VM. It was originally created by Google and is currently in the Standardization process.

http://dartlang.org
http://www.ecma-international.org/memento/TC52.htm

Thanks,
Matt

euler
Administrator

Post by euler » Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:36 pm

Thanks for adding the links, Matt. Dart has been added.

@gabriel.massana: If you showed the courtesy of reading the first post in this thread before making your request then you might then understand why I have ignored both of your requests.

ShortKidd

Post by ShortKidd » Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:19 pm

From a long time ago, someone asked for processing and never responded to you. Processing is a good catch all for the language, although it's quite similar to Java. It's simpler, and the syntax is very different (it's more of a drawing thing, to be honest) but it's still written and called Java-esque to people that use it.

euler
Administrator

Post by euler » Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:11 pm

I replied earlier, but I'd misread your post and I was asking the question you had kindly answered. Thanks for that. "Processing" has been added.

gabriel.massana

Post by gabriel.massana » Tue May 06, 2014 4:05 pm

euler wrote:Thanks for adding the links, Matt. Dart has been added.

@gabriel.massana: If you showed the courtesy of reading the first post in this thread before making your request then you might then understand why I have ignored both of your requests.
Sorry for my error.

Objective-C is a superset of C, adding OOP to C.

Language name: Objective-C

Links:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Objective-C
http://www.tiobe.com/index.php/content/ ... index.html

Language description (from wiki):
Objective-C is a general-purpose, object-oriented programming language that adds Smalltalk-style messaging to the C programming language. It is the main programming language used by Apple for the OS X and iOS operating systems and their respective application programming interfaces (APIs), Cocoa and Cocoa Touch.

euler
Administrator

Post by euler » Tue May 06, 2014 4:21 pm

Thank you for the information. Could you clarify though... ? Is Objective-C sufficiently different in syntax to C/C++ when it comes down to solving Project Euler problems? Although it may add full objective oriented programming elements to the C framework does that introduce new commands/instructions which makes Objective-C notably different? So would a program which solves a particular PE problem written in C vs Objective-C appear fundamentally different enough for neither user to recognise it?

I am more than happy to add it, but I only ask these questions because I personally have no experience with Objective-C and I need a user such as yourself to advise me. Otherwise it may potentially be nothing more than the many hybrids of BASIC, which are all essentially BASIC when it comes to solving PE problems.

gabriel.massana

Post by gabriel.massana » Tue May 06, 2014 4:44 pm

For me the selection of C/C++ makes no sense. Maybe a C/Objective-C can make some sense. Because Objective-C uses some C things like structs and other things. However it is a totally different language. And of course have no relation with C++.

Two examples:

Method creation:
- (void) methodWithFirstParameter:(NSString*) first andSecondOne:(int) second
{
//Code
}

How to call the method:
[self methodWithFirstParameter:@"string" andSecondOne:10];

This post explains a little bit what is Objective-C and why is hard to learn: http://ashfurrow.com/blog/2012/03/why-o ... -c-is-hard

Also, when I'm coding to solve problems I'm using the Obj-C main framework Foundation: https://developer.apple.com/library/ios ... ation.html. This is the Frameworks that provides all the classes to work with and develop.

euler
Administrator

Post by euler » Tue May 06, 2014 6:08 pm

Thank you for your helpful reply. I've added Objective-C.

Originally at Project Euler we were trying to create categories which grouped together language types. This is why we had C/C++, BASIC, ECMAScript, and so on. However, with the multitude of new languages which have been added since (Objective-C is the 86th to be added to the drop-down list) it does raise questions over whether or not it is fair to have such broad categories for some of those original languages added. In particular I'm thinking about C/C++. Hmm?

gabriel.massana

Post by gabriel.massana » Wed May 07, 2014 8:34 am

euler wrote:Thank you for your helpful reply. I've added Objective-C.

Originally at Project Euler we were trying to create categories which grouped together language types. This is why we had C/C++, BASIC, ECMAScript, and so on. However, with the multitude of new languages which have been added since (Objective-C is the 86th to be added to the drop-down list) it does raise questions over whether or not it is fair to have such broad categories for some of those original languages added. In particular I'm thinking about C/C++. Hmm?
Thanks to you! You are doing the real job. I'm just enjoing!

In my opinion C should be a language and C++ another one.

Cheers

BThomas

Post by BThomas » Wed May 21, 2014 4:44 am

euler wrote:Originally at Project Euler we were trying to create categories which grouped together language types. This is why we had C/C++, BASIC, ECMAScript, and so on. However, with the multitude of new languages which have been added since (Objective-C is the 86th to be added to the drop-down list) it does raise questions over whether or not it is fair to have such broad categories for some of those original languages added. In particular I'm thinking about C/C++. Hmm?
Perhaps seperate languages if the implementation of problems would significantly be effected. For example, the advantage C++ has over C when it comes to implementing problems is that C++ has access to <vector>, <map>, <bitset>, <algortihms> etc... Someone who's working in vanilla C would need to implement these themselves, which makes a differents in the effort required for problems. Whether or not this is enough is up for debait.

Another solution might be to let the user type in the name of their language, and then let them select a language family from the dropdown box (with auto-suggestion perhaps). Then you get the best of both worlds, where a user gets to advertise her or her own language, and we still get objectively meaningfull statistics about language families.
Racketeer!

euler
Administrator

Post by euler » Thu Jun 05, 2014 6:10 pm

Considered it. Done. :wink:

seanjacksontc

Post by seanjacksontc » Thu Jun 05, 2014 6:17 pm

Many thanks!

Imwill

Post by Imwill » Sun Jun 08, 2014 10:50 am

Could you please add Idris?

Description from homepage:
Idris is a general purpose pure functional programming language with dependent types. Dependent types allow types to be predicated on values, meaning that some aspects of a program’s behaviour can be specified precisely in the type. It is compiled, with eager evaluation. Its features are influenced by Haskell and ML.
Wikipedia list
Wikipedia page
Idris homepage

euler
Administrator

Post by euler » Sun Jun 08, 2014 9:37 pm

Sure. Added.