New Preferred Programming Language Requests

In this forum members can discuss topics about specific programming languages.
euler
Administrator

Re: New Preferred Programming Language Requests

Post by euler »

@daotoad: I am always keen to add new languages, as it helps to celebrates the diversity of our member base. So thank you for taking the time to provide a case, but as you said yourself, "I can understand the desire to keep the list of languages as short as reasonable, A 500+ item drop down list is not that desirable."

I believe that Hans is right in what he says. If the language has evolved to the point that it no longer resembles the language from which it grew then it should be completely renamed. Hans would be more of an authority in this area, but as another example there are many similarities between Pascal and Delphi; Delphi evolved from the Pascal language which I believe was even referred to as Delphi Pascal in the early days. However, when the changes became so significant that the differences outweighed the similarities then Delphi began to be referred to a language completely separate from Pascal; it would be wrong for us to group Pascal and Delphi together.

At the time of making this post, the first line of the Wikipedia article on Perl6 says, "Perl 6 is a member of the Perl family of programming languages." Later on in the same article, under the section "Major changes from Perl 5", it says, "Perl 5 and Perl 6 differ fundamentally, though in general the intent has been to 'keep Perl 6 Perl', so that Perl 6 is clearly 'a perl programming language'."
impudens simia et macrologus profundus fabulae
hk
Administrator

Post by hk »

(aside:
The programming part of Delphi is almost pure Pascal. As Delphi user I wouldn't object to grouping Pascal and Delphi under one denominator as Pascal.
The users that list Pascal as programming language are mostly using Free Pascal. The intention of Free Pascal is to provide an free version of the Delphi language and as such is hardly different of Delphi but for the RAD (rapid application development) environment.

However, Delphi and Free Pascal offer much more than the bare bones Pascal that Niklaus Wirth designed. From that point of view it would be better not to refer to them as Pascal.
)
War ruins the life and health of untold numbers of innocent children.
daotoad

Post by daotoad »

Thank you both for your consideration and even more thanks for the great site that is the basis for the whole conversation. Your hard work work is appreciated.

PS. hk, the naming issue has been a huge bone of contention in the Perl community for at least 10 years. IME, the level of confusion caused has been even worse than the whole Java vs JavaScript mess.
fdisotto

Post by fdisotto »

Hi,
can you add Crystal language to the list?

http://crystal-lang.org/
https://github.com/manastech/crystal

Thanks in advance!
euler
Administrator

Post by euler »

Added. :)
GFA

Post by GFA »

GAMS
The General Algebraic Modeling System (GAMS) is a high-level modeling system for mathematical programming and optimization. It consists of a language compiler and a stable of integrated high-performance solvers. GAMS is tailored for complex, large scale modeling applications, and allows you to build large maintainable models that can be adapted quickly to new situations.

http://www.gams.com
euler
Administrator

Post by euler »

GAMS has been added, taking the total number of languages represented to 95.
virtualsaguaro

Post by virtualsaguaro »

Hello
Would you please consider the following Language for your drop down list:
LiveCode
Here is the history and background of LiveCode on WikiPedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LiveCode

The commercial website for Free Use (No compiler option) and Individual Developers (compile to iOS, Adroid, Mac, PC, Linux)
http://livecode.com

The platform won the Macworld Annual Editor's Choice Award for "Best Development Software" in 2004
Since then it has become mainstream for many developers due to its high level language, ease of User Interface design, etc
Here is an example of problem 001 of the problems recently solved on this site

on mouseUp
put 0 into total
repeat with thisNumber = 1 to (fld "high number" -1)
if thisNumber mod 3 = 0 or thisNumber mod 5 = 0 then
add thisNumber to Total
end if
end repeat
put total into fld "total"
end mouseUp
//the reference to 'fld' is where the user placed the high number to investigate and into which field the total was displayed upon completion of the routine

Thanks
Billy Martin
This site is going to provide a lifetime of challenges, Thanks again
euler
Administrator

Post by euler »

@Martin: LiveCode has been added.
square1001

Post by square1001 »

Hello, I'm square1001.

I think Javascript is very popular programming language.

But actually, there is no "Javascript" in this programming language list.

Java and Javascript is different, so we should add in this list.

Thank you for reading.
hk
Administrator

Post by hk »

It has been mentioned several times in this thread:
Please don't ask for Javascript. Instead of Javascript use Ecmascript (which is the same).
lnettnay

Post by lnettnay »

Hi, I like the language Euphoria.

Euphoria is a powerful but easy-to-learn programming language. It has a simple syntax and structure with consistent rules, and is also easy to read. You can quickly, and with little effort, develop applications, big and small, for Windows, Unix variants (Linux, FreeBSD, ...) and OS X.

Euphoria provides subscript checking, uninitialized variable checking, garbage collection, and numerous other run-time checks, and is still extremely fast.

Euphoria is a general purpose programming language with a large library base making it usable for a variety of tasks. Its use of simple English words rather than punctuation enables you to quickly read the source code and understand it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euphoria_ ... _language)
http://openeuphoria.org/

Thank you for your consideration.

Lonny
euler
Administrator

Post by euler »

Thanks for the information. Euphoria has been added.
lscrd

Post by lscrd »

Hello,

I think that Nim would be an interesting addition to the language list.

Nim is a statically typed imperative language which compiles to native code using C as intermediate language. It provided a lot of modern features (hygienic macro system, templates, AST manipulation, etc.) in a very clean syntax. It is both powerful and efficient.

Here is the link to the official site: http://nim-lang.org/
And here is the link to Wikipedia article: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nim_(prog ... _language)

Thanks.
euler
Administrator

Post by euler »

Thank you for the info. Nim has been added.
dmaestro

Post by dmaestro »

It is definitely time for Perl 6 as a separate language from Perl/Perl 5. They really are different languages. Perl 6 has many operators (and the ability to create new operators easily) which make the approach to solving problems quite different from Perl 5.

See perl6.org - downloads are available for the modern Rakudo Star compiler for Perl 6 for Windows, Linux, and MacOS. Compiler development has been progressing rapidly since the official language release of Perl 6.c a year ago!

I just joined Project Euler and will be attempting all problems using solely Perl 6.
hk
Administrator

Post by hk »

This was discussed before, see:
viewtopic.php?f=49&t=2903&p=42004&hilit=perl6#p41986 and following posts.

And here what has been decided then:
viewtopic.php?f=49&t=2903&p=42004&hilit=perl6#p42004
dmaestro

Post by dmaestro »

I appreciate the decision made at the time, 6 months before the official release of Perl 6. However, things have changed drastically subsequent to that release in December 2015.

Also, the quote from wikipedia: "Perl 5 and Perl 6 differ fundamentally, though in general the intent has been to 'keep Perl 6 Perl'" needs to be understood as regarding some rather informal notions of what 'Perl' is: TIMTOWTDI ("There is more than one way to do it"), maximizing both whipuptitude and manipulexity (ref: http://www.shlomifish.org/humour/fortun ... big-divide).

I would really argue for keeping Perl (primarily for Perl 5, since that is what most people will associate), and adding Perl 6 to cover the "sister language" that is also unique and different. I hope you can reconsider this :-)
Oatworm

Post by Oatworm »

Hello, I would like to request the addition of Batch (Windows/Dos) to the list of languages in the dropdown menu. It is on Wikipedia's list of programming languages, which links to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batch_file under the title provided earlier. The language is substantially different from any of the other languages on the list - PowerShell, which succeeded Batch for the purposes of system administration, is radically different, and there are no relatives of Batch in production use, nor on the dropdown list.

It's admittedly an older language, but I've used it to solve over 30 problems thus far, with solutions posted in the main forum using the {code=CMD} tag (I'll happily edit my posts to match whatever tag you choose to adopt instead).
euler
Administrator

Post by euler »

I've added "Batch" to the list of preferred programming languages. Keep in mind that the code tag on the main website forum does not correlate with this as it uses highlight.js and is limited by that.