Add Chapel to Language List

In this forum members can discuss topics about specific programming languages.
chapel

Add Chapel to Language List

Post by chapel » Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:03 pm

Open source language designed for parallel computing, seems appropriate for math computations.
http://chapel.cray.com/

hk
Administrator

Re: Add Chapel to Language List

Post by hk » Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:04 pm

chapel wrote:Open source language designed for parallel computing, seems appropriate for math computations.
http://chapel.cray.com/
"seems appropriate for math computations:" did you try that out yourself for a significant number of PE problems?
Or, viewing your user name, is this kind of advertising?

chapel

Post by chapel » Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:23 pm

Just choose a username based on the language I was planning to use, no deeper meaning behind it.

I've only done 7 so far. I wasn't aware of a solved problem requirement for language addition(seems reasonable though I hadn't seen it mentioned for the recent Octave/q additions). Let me know what you would consider to be a reasonable amount and I can bring this up again should I hit that amount.

hk
Administrator

Post by hk » Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:29 am

No there isn't a solved problem requirement.
However, these sentences on the webiste for the language are somewhat disturbing (coloring by me):
Chapel is an emerging parallel programming language
Please note that this implementation is a work-in-progress, with all that implies.
Secondly there are serious doubts about the notability of this programming language on Wikipedia.
See:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Chape ... _language)

So, yes, IMHO, you should establish your claim yourself by solving a considerable amount of problems with this emerging work in progress.

thundre

Post by thundre » Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:35 pm

hk wrote:Yes, IMHO, you should establish your claim yourself by solving a considerable amount of problems with this emerging work in progress.
Regardless of whether it's a "significant number" or a "considerable amount", I think Chapel has already accepted the concept. He's asking for an official opinion of what number of solved problems would justify re-consideration of his request.

My opinion -- Chapel is designed for use on "supercomputers", including MPP machines. PE problems are designed to encourage people to learn enough to solve hard problems on ordinary computers. Using MPP hardware instead of learning the math sort of defeats the purpose.

But... if it can make better use of dual/quad core architecture than C++, it may really take off. I would say that if you can beat the best posted C++ time for 10 of the 3XX-level problems, running on a single normal computer, the language is worth everybody's consideration. See you in the solution threads.