Language suggestion: Component Pascal (Oberon 2)

In this forum members can discuss topics about specific programming languages.
RobertCampbell

Language suggestion: Component Pascal (Oberon 2)

Post by RobertCampbell » Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:14 am

A few weeks ago I asked if the above language could be added to the list.

I notice that more recent language suggestions have had replies, but not this. The reason is probably that the 'Subject' heading I used was unclear?

Component Pascal is a flavour of Oberon 2, and represents the current status of the Wirthian tradition of languages (Algol - Pascal - Modula II - Oberon - Oberon 2 - Oberon07). I think it is worth a mention.

The language on its own is very small, and is maybe only a starting point for solving these problems. However the community web site (http://www.zinnamturm.eu/) includes library modules for things such as Primes, Factorisation, Integer vectors, Linked lists, Arbitrary precision integer arithmetic (and many other things!) that make it a more than adequate vehicle for the first 50 problems, and I hope, in time, maybe a few more!

euler
Administrator

Re: Language suggestion: Component Pascal (Oberon 2)

Post by euler » Sun Jun 26, 2011 3:34 pm

Sorry, I'd not seen your request. I've added it for you. :cool:
impudens simia et macrologus profundus fabulae

RobertCampbell

Post by RobertCampbell » Sun Jun 26, 2011 6:38 pm

Thanks

RobertCampbell

Post by RobertCampbell » Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:47 am

The last time I wrote I'd just done the first 50, and expressed the hope that this language would be good for a few more.

It was, I'd just reached the exalted height of Novice :D, when that rank was abolished :( !

Actually I like the new website look (thanks for all the work it obviously took); I just LOVE the light switch.

There seemed to be some teething problems - I couldn't validate my email for a week, maybe because it contained an underscore? - but the problems I've noticed have magically gone away!

Back to topic. The statistics page includes a language based table, which includes most languages but not this one. That's a shame, from my perspective, because it would score quite highly (in one of the columns anyway).

Cheers

Robert