Language additions for two mobile platforms

In this forum members can discuss topics about specific programming languages.
oliverue

Language additions for two mobile platforms

Post by oliverue »

1) Could you please add "MorphEngine" as language option?

MorphEngine is the calculator engine used by the ND1 and ND0 (free) iOS calculator apps, and upcoming apps for mobile devices. It's in the hands of a few thousand users.
Its a 400-instructions strong API that has commands like "primes", "NEXTPRIME", "powmod" and data types like number, complex number, BigInteger, array, expression, and more.

The engine has three language front-ends: JavaScript, RPL+, and GolfScript.

ND1 can deal with long loops and hold MBs of data in memory and makes for a suitable platform to develop Project Euler solutions.

2) Could you also add "RPL" as language option?

RPL is the language in HP RPL calculators (HP-28, -48, -49, -50g). This platform has many thousand users. Someone recently started a thread in a related newsgroup and it transpired that at least a bunch of people have developed Project Euler solutions in this language.

Finally, I'd like to chime in with considering to provide finer granularity for language designation. Specifically: on a per-submission basis vs. as a general preference.

I see myself developing solutions in any one of 5 languages, and would like to attribute any given solution to the language it was developed in, rather than "sailing under one flag."

Since you're gathering statistics already, this would make for a more interesting (and accurate) picture. As it stands, smaller languages are at a disadvantage, obviously. If you generally develop in Mathematica but throw in from time to time a solution in Befunge... it won't be counted.
If you split your submissions between Mathematica and Python, you have to make a hard choice which one to claim as your preferred language.

For Project Euler problems, mobile systems may never be the preferred platform to develop solutions in. It would still be cool to see actual mobile submissions counted. (And, remember, it's a mobile world now... ;-))

Nemo59

Re: Language additions for two mobile platforms

Post by Nemo59 »

Hi

>
>2) Could you also add "RPL" as language option?
>RPL is the language in HP RPL calculators (HP-28, -48, -49, -50g).

I agree. I solved 30 problem in RPL for HP50G calculator. The last one is the 329. I posted the RPL source for this problem.

euler
Administrator

Post by euler »

I don't know how I missed this. Apologies!

Anyway, I've added RPL 8-)

Is "MorphEngine" a programming language per se or is it an extension library that can be used by other scripting languages?
impudens simia et macrologus profundus fabulae

oliverue

Post by oliverue »

Hi euler,

Thanks for adding RPL!

MorphEngine is a Math API, that can be utilized from a number of language front-ends:
JavaScript (ECMAScript), RPL, RPL+, GolfScript/MorphEngine (where "/MorphEngine" denotes that the language, GolfScript, is augmented by the MorphEngine API command set).

RPL is implemented in HP (-28, -48, -49, -50g) calculators and Naive Design (ND0, ND1, CalcPad) calculator apps.

Latter also implement RPL+ (which is a significant language extension), JavaScript, and GolfScript, and have, through MorphEngine, a math API that largely intersects HP's, but is neither a subset, nor a superset.
The common thread is the API. Hence, I think it makes sense to bundle all these code writing options by API vs. language.

It's a bit like if Mathematica or another "math environment" had multiple language front-ends. If Mathematica had a Python front-end, you'd still say (I think) that you're writing "Mathematica code."

(Are Mathematica or MATLAB "languages" or "math environments"?)

Lord_Farin

Post by Lord_Farin »

oliverue wrote:(Are Mathematica or MATLAB "languages" or "math environments"?)
Mathematica has it's own, interpreted front end application. Since it does thus not need any other programming language to function, I consider it a separate language. On the other hand, I have been using the MathLink library sometimes, which allows me to augment my Java solutions with the powerful built-in functions of Mathematica by directly accessing the kernel application that actually computes things. In that sense, it could be called a maths environment. But even this extension requires your commands to be formatted in the Mathematica syntax.
Summarizing, I think it would be appropriate to say Mathematica is a language, that can be used with some other languages (Java, C) as were it a maths environment.

oliverue

Post by oliverue »

euler,

So, can MorphEngine be added, as it represents a "compute environment", similarly to Mathematica, Maple, etc., which are really environments and not languages?

Thanks.

euler
Administrator

Post by euler »

Done. :cool:
impudens simia et macrologus profundus fabulae

dani2134

Post by dani2134 »

Thanks.. I also done.