Python 3 IDE

In this forum members can discuss topics about specific programming languages.
thedoctar

Python 3 IDE

Post by thedoctar » Thu May 19, 2011 12:58 pm

Hello all,

I currently use PyScripter IDE for coding in Python 2 and 3 in Windows, but I also use Ubuntu, in which I only use DrPython to code only Python 2. I was wondering if anyone knows any lightweight Python 3 IDEs for Ubuntu. All I really want is customisable syntax highlighting and an inbuilt interpreter.
4x Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-2330M CPU @ 2.20GHz
fabas indulcet fames

quilan

Re: Python 3 IDE

Post by quilan » Sat May 21, 2011 4:58 am

thedoctar wrote:Hello all,

I currently use PyScripter IDE for coding in Python 2 and 3 in Windows, but I also use Ubuntu, in which I only use DrPython to code only Python 2. I was wondering if anyone knows any lightweight Python 3 IDEs for Ubuntu. All I really want is customisable syntax highlighting and an inbuilt interpreter.
I'm not 100% sure with Python 3, but for Python 2, I just use Eclipse with the PyDev plugin. Works like a charm.
ex ~100%'er... until the gf came along.

thedoctar

Post by thedoctar » Sun May 22, 2011 5:12 am

quilan wrote:I'm not 100% sure with Python 3, but for Python 2, I just use Eclipse with the PyDev plugin. Works like a charm.
I googled pyDev and apparently it does work with Python 3, so I'll try that some time soon. Thanks!
4x Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-2330M CPU @ 2.20GHz
fabas indulcet fames

Francky

Post by Francky » Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:43 pm

thedoctar wrote:I was wondering if anyone knows any lightweight Python 3 IDEs for Ubuntu. All I really want is customisable syntax highlighting and an inbuilt interpreter.
Geany is perfect, you can choose another highlightings (see site's plugins),
you could change easily the concerned file to your style.

Geany is very light, I prefer it now rather than GEdit (wich snippets stay fabulous).
ImageEntia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

Slaunger

Post by Slaunger » Sun Jul 10, 2011 5:38 pm

thedoctar wrote:
quilan wrote:I'm not 100% sure with Python 3, but for Python 2, I just use Eclipse with the PyDev plugin. Works like a charm.
I googled pyDev and apparently it does work with Python 3, so I'll try that some time soon. Thanks!
Huh? I have PyDev running on Eclipse Indigo with Python 3.2 (on Windows 7) and that works just fine.

I just converted Python 2.5 scripts for 128 problems from Python 2.5 to Python 3.2 using 2to3.py and some subsequent tweaking (especially of integer division - 2to3 cannot figure out when to replace "/" with "//" due to the dynamic types of the operands, so I had to go through the divisons and replace them manually). All of the scripts are now running on 3.2 using PyDev on Indigo and they give the correct results. I would not call the IDE light-weight though, but I find it very nice to work with.

It seems though that now by scripts are slower. It may be due to some of the map -> list(map()) replacements done by 2to3, and because psyco is not available for Python 3 and I used that on selected problems with nested loops to speed them up. With Python 2.5 and sometimes psyco my avg total time was about 1 sec/problem. The converted 3.2 scripts runs at an average of 1.72 sec/problem on an Intel Core 2 Duo @ 2.2 GHz w 32 bit Win 7.

lrhehe

Post by lrhehe » Sun Dec 11, 2011 1:13 pm

Ulipad
lightweight and cool, written by python

Spyder
Cool and useful, written by python

woofy31

Post by woofy31 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:45 am

PyCharm all the way - it's the best tool I've used so far, really Python-aware!

clod

Post by clod » Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:12 pm

The coolest editor for Python is ___
Last edited by euler on Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Link removed because this product has nothing to do with Python

AudreyJean

Post by AudreyJean » Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:19 pm

I just installed Spyder3, and so far I am really liking it. I have been auditioning editors and IDE's for the past several months. I love Sublime Text, but it's not free. PyCharm gets a lot of positive reviews, but it's a full out IDE and complicated to figure out when you are just wanting to write quick little programs. I am just learning Python and feel overwhelmed already with the massive amount I have to learn, so a simple editor with the features I want is important. Maybe some day I will write an editor that I wish I could find, but maybe Spyder3 is it.