Solving PE problems multiple times.

General chat, humour, riddles, logic/lateral/word puzzles...
vamsikal3

Solving PE problems multiple times.

Post by vamsikal3 »

<deleted post>
Last edited by vamsikal3 on Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
my friend key --> 990813_OZPwQtCjkD6KlvxirOoTSZxccMFsuw1L
traxex

Re: Solving PE problems multiple times.

Post by traxex »

On the account page there is an option Reset Progress, which marks all problems as unsolved. Using it might be preferable to creating multiple accounts. You might want to save your solutions in a text file before pulling the trigger, just in case you want to regain access to the forums.

That said, I also had a different account a long time ago when there were less than 200 problems and I solved almost all of them. I have forgotten the password I used and decided to create a new account recently. It has been very nostalgic to solve some of the same problems now, a full decade later. But I find it much more fun to attempt new problems instead of dwelling on the same old stuff. I don't think I'll ever do an intentional restart again.

I have used some of the easier problems as practice when learning a new language, but for that seeing the solution on the problem page doesn't matter. Submitting a solution and seeing the green tick is of course satisfying, but if I know I know the solution already, it doesn't feel the same.
Technically, everyone is full of himself.
vamsikal3

Post by vamsikal3 »

<deleted post>
Last edited by vamsikal3 on Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
traxex

Post by traxex »

For just comparing implementations in different languages, I confess I don't really see the point. Lots of people do this already, as can be seen on the forums; Haskell and C/C++ are one common pair. I used to keep track of which language(s) I used to solve each problem, and sometimes I created multiple solutions, but never saw a need for separate user accounts.

Especially for the harder problems with <200 solvers, submitting the answer with multiple active accounts would skew the statistics. I don't think there are many people doing it though.
Technically, everyone is full of himself.
vamsikal3

Post by vamsikal3 »

<deleted post>
Last edited by vamsikal3 on Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
yourmaths

Post by yourmaths »

Haha! I have wasted enough time solving problems once to consider starting again!
level = lambda number_solved: number_solved // 25
Dr.Cyber

Post by Dr.Cyber »

I am pretty new but I like redoing problems that I did in Haskell in λ-calculus.
Doing the problems in λ-calculus goes really slow though. But it is really fun. It definitely makes redoing problems more interesting.