Suggest me a book

General chat, humour, riddles, logic/lateral/word puzzles...
S_r

Suggest me a book

Post by S_r » Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:49 am

Which books would you prefer if i want to learn about number theory, factoring, different methods of finding primes and a great book on maths?

MuthuVeerappanR

Re: Suggest me a book

Post by MuthuVeerappanR » Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:57 am

Not number theory but if you want a great book, you can start with 'Analytic Combinatorics' by Sedgwick and Flajolet. It is a very nice read on Combinatorics and will also help in solving numerous PE problems directly or using the ideas on the book.
It is not knowledge, but the act of learning, not possession but the act of getting there, which grants the greatest enjoyment.

S_r

Post by S_r » Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:11 am

Thanks
Last edited by S_r on Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

S_r

Post by S_r » Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:12 am

Anything on number theory? Which branch do you like?

hk
Administrator

Post by hk » Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:23 am

Googling on "books numbertheory" gave this discussion:
https://math.stackexchange.com/question ... ber-theory
Loads of people suggest a book there. You can find your book there, I suppose.

Roquentin

Post by Roquentin » Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:40 pm

You might like "Concrete Mathematics" By Knuth and Patashnik, or "An Introduction to the Theory of Numbers" by Niven, Zuckerman, and Montgomery. Both are pretty cheap, especially for textbooks. I believe my copy of "An Introduction to the Theory of Numbers" was 15 USD.

yourmaths

Post by yourmaths » Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:31 am

My "go to" book is "Elementary Number Theory" by David M. Burton. I don't even know where I got it from but the main thing I like about it is that the mathematical detail is interspersed with interesting historical details.

Both "Prime Numbers: A Computational Perspective", Pomerance & Crandall, and "A Course in Computational Algebraic Number Theory", Henri Cohen, are more technical but at the same time more focused on algorithms.
level = lambda number_solved: number_solved // 25

DJohn

Post by DJohn » Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:44 am

Albert H Beiler "Recreations in the Theory of Numbers" is an interesting one. It belongs to the very end of the hand-computation era, just as computers were starting to take over. The methods he describes are very different to the ones you'd use now. That's what made it fascinating for me. It's a lost tradition.

kenbrooker

Post by kenbrooker » Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:47 am

For elementary number theory, and with used offerings as cheap as $6.25 @ Amazon.com,
consider The Book of Numbers by John Conway (Mr Fractran, as per PE Problem #308 : )
"Good Judgment comes from Experience;
Experience comes from Bad Judgment
..."

S_r

Post by S_r » Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:14 am

yourmaths wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:31 am
My "go to" book is "Elementary Number Theory" by David M. Burton. I don't even know where I got it from but the main thing I like about it is that the mathematical detail is interspersed with interesting historical details.

Both "Prime Numbers: A Computational Perspective", Pomerance & Crandall, and "A Course in Computational Algebraic Number Theory", Henri Cohen, are more technical but at the same time more focused on algorithms.
thanks for your suggestions. I already have Elementary Number Theory and i found it as interesting. I will check the other ones also.

vamsikal3

Post by vamsikal3 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:48 am

I have looked at a few of the Elementary Number Theory books available at LibGen. For some like me, just starting out on Number Theory, Burton's 7th edition is a great introduction. I have worked through the first two chapters. I would definitely recommend it to any PE enthusiast. It would have been so much more fun if I had started with PE and Burton at the same time.
my friend key --> 990813_OZPwQtCjkD6KlvxirOoTSZxccMFsuw1L