Alternative Solution To Problem 18, Request Help Solving

Arithmetic, algebra, number theory, sequence and series, analysis, ...
RagingCain

Alternative Solution To Problem 18, Request Help Solving

Post by RagingCain » Wed Apr 29, 2015 3:34 pm

I have already solved the problem, posted a solution, all that Jazz.

I believe there is potential in my failed first attempt, I just need... smarter people than myself. I unfortunately solved the answer by eyeballing it, which means I have struggled for days trying to reproduce what my brain did in seconds. I don't mind admitting that I made this problem harder then it had to be by refusing to look up any tricks or tips navigating a tree smartly top down with a sieve... Suffice to say I failed... but I think I had a partial sieve constructed:

C# Code

Code: Select all

This leaves you with the following: (Reduction is [RowMax(n) - 1]).
[img]http://www.bytemedev.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/ConceptSieve1.png[/img]

There are only two paths needing testing, in the green zone. Both lead to having a total of 7, which means that they contain 7 of 15 maximum values. If anyone is interested in helping me finish this, I think it has enormous potential in extremely high numbered tree sets.  I think minimums also have to be accounted for, potentially as -1.

I am fully willing to admit defeat, I just don't think I am there yet.  I need help with the mechanics of navigating the tree and is this a viable approach mathematically?

mpiotte
Administrator

Re: Alternative Solution To Problem 18, Request Help Solving

Post by mpiotte » Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:35 pm

RagingCain wrote:... I am fully willing to admit defeat, I just don't think I am there yet. I need help with the mechanics of navigating the tree and is this a viable approach mathematically?
This is not the appropriate place to discuss Project Euler problem solutions. The appropriate place is within the private forum you gain access to after solving the problem.

RagingCain

Post by RagingCain » Mon May 04, 2015 10:20 pm

mpiotte wrote:
RagingCain wrote:... I am fully willing to admit defeat, I just don't think I am there yet. I need help with the mechanics of navigating the tree and is this a viable approach mathematically?
This is not the appropriate place to discuss Project Euler problem solutions. The appropriate place is within the private forum you gain access to after solving the problem.
I wasn't discussing Problem 18 in particular, I was asking for help on resolving a mathematical method. I was asking for help if it is:

A.) Viable approach to such problems.
B.) If it isn't, why or better yet, can it be?

CasperHagenaars

Post by CasperHagenaars » Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:02 pm

A.) No, it's not
B.) It can't be