Finding permutations of any 3-digit number

Arrangements, sorting, packing, partitions, critical path analysis, networks, graphs, ...
nisargshah95

Finding permutations of any 3-digit number

Post by nisargshah95 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:32 am

Now I was working on this problem in school where I had to list out all possible permutations of a given three digit number. Here's my code -

Code: Select all

Output "Enter a three-digit number: "
Input no
hundreds_digit=no/100, 
ones_digit=no%10, 
tens_digit=no/10-10*hundreds_digit
Now I've got the one's, ten's and the hundred's digit. The problem is, how do I display their different combinations other than manually write all six possible ways (that would be worse) like

Output hundreds_digit, tens_digit, ones_digit
Output hundreds_digit, ones_digit, tens_digit
And so on...

Any help will be appreciated.

jaap

Re: Finding permutations of any 3-digit number

Post by jaap » Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:56 am

You'll need to use some data structure like an array or a list (or even a string) so that you can access those digits individually by index number, rather than by specific variable names for each digit. That way the digits will be something like digit[1], digit[2], and digit[3] (or digit[0], digit[1], digit[2] depending on the programming language).

This allows you to use a variable for the index, i.e. digit[index] where index is a variable with the value 1, 2, or 3 (or 0, 1, 2 as noted above). It gives much more flexibility.To do what you want, you can then use three nested for-loops, with if statements to avoid repeating a digit in one number.

If you then want to go on to make it work for numbers of any length, you will probably want to look at recursion.

nisargshah95

Post by nisargshah95 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:14 am

Expand
[quote="jaap"]You'll need to use some data structure like an array or a list (or even a string) so that you can access those digits individually by index number, rather than by specific variable names for each digit. That way the digits will be something like digit[1], digit[2], and digit[3] (or digit[0], digit[1], digit[2] depending on the programming language).

This allows you to use a variable for the index, i.e. digit[index] where index is a variable with the value 1, 2, or 3 (or 0, 1, 2 as noted above). It gives much more flexibility.To do what you want, you can then use three nested for-loops, with if statements to avoid repeating a digit in one number.

If you then want to go on to make it work for numbers of any length, you will probably want to look at recursion.[/quote]
I'm using C++. If I use an array to store each digit in each index then I'll have to input one digit and then other digit. What I mean to say is that I cannot input the whole number at a time. I'm in 12th grade so I haven't learnt advanced methods. Still I'll try considering your suggestion. Thanks.

jaap

Post by jaap » Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:40 am

nisargshah95 wrote:I'm using C++. If I use an array to store each digit in each index then I'll have to input one digit and then other digit. What I mean to say is that I cannot input the whole number at a time. I'm in 12th grade so I haven't learnt advanced methods. Still I'll try considering your suggestion. Thanks.
You can adjust your code like this:

int no;
// Input no - whatever code you use for inputting no goes here
// Assumption: At this point no is an integer between 100 and 999 inclusive.
int digits[3];
digits[0] = no/100;
digits[1] = no%10;
digits[2] = no/10-10*digits[0];

nisargshah95

Post by nisargshah95 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:12 am

Yeah! That's what I was exactly going to suggest before I saw your post. And now I've solved my problem. Did the following -

seq[3]={ones_digit,tens_digit,hundreds_digit}

for (int i=0;i<=2;i++)
     Output seq[i], seq[(i+1)%3], seq[(i+2)%3]
     Output seq[i], swap(seq[(i+1)%3],seq[(i+2)%3]) //Where 'swap' will swap the last two digits and return a two-digit number.
Thanks for helping me out!