Project Euler in Romanian

A place to share links to other websites and interesting articles
SoboLAN

Project Euler in Romanian

Post by SoboLAN » Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:41 am

[If you would like to help with the Romanian translations, contact me on this topic or via private messaging]

Translations Website
----------------------------------
Hi,

I have developed a website where Romanian translations are accessible: http://projecteuler.radumurzea.net/. As you can see, not all problems are translated. This is a massive task and is going to take a very long time, especially because Project Euler continues to publish new problems (about 50 per year).

The reason why I do this is to give something back. For me, the most basic core of Project Euler is a revolution in learning. It's a great idea and it's very needed in a world where education is a disgusting disaster, even (or especially) in the most developed countries. By translating the problems, this fantastic idea is made accessible to even more people. I just want to make that happen. For real. And I'm willing to dedicate many hours for this.

To the Project Euler team: Congratulations for your fantastic work over many years. Don't ever ever ever ever think about quitting from this. Because you'll regret it.... you should regret it.

GreaseMonkey Translations Script
I have also developed a GreaseMonkey script that allows viewing Project Euler translations directly on projecteuler.net. At first, this functionality worked only for Romanian translations, but now the current version offers access to the Russian, German and Korean translations as well. For these 3 new languages, it may feel a little slow (read the changelog).

The script can be found here: https://greasyfork.org/en/scripts/4899- ... translator and here: https://openuserjs.org/scripts/SoboLAN/ ... Translator.

Tagging System
I've seen this feature requested a few times here on the forums. And it seems like a great idea. I am of course talking about sorting the problems into categories: geometry problems, cryptography problems, problems that involve prime numbers, sequences, data processing, combinatorics etc.

Finding problems that involve certain topics among the 400+ existing problems is not an issue I as a member want to deal with. Which is why I believe this to have a lot of potential and the ability to make it much much easier for members to find problems about topics that interest them.

I've implemented this system on the Romanian translations website. You can read more about it on its dedicated thread: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3051.
Last edited by SoboLAN on Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:51 pm, edited 7 times in total.

euler
Administrator

Re: Completely new Translation of ProjectEuler Problems

Post by euler » Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:53 pm

I already gave you feedback and suggested that you make a post here to see what other members think about it. Personally I am impressed, but it appears that there is no overwhelming feeling for the use of such a utility. This could be for a number of reasons:

Some people don't use Firefox and/or don't feel comfortable using these types of extensions in their browser.
Only a small subset of PE members use this forum and of those who visit here they tend to focus on the "hints" threads.
Although some may have stumbled on this thread, some cannot be bothered with having to register again to use this forum. If that is the case then it does suggest a lack of strength of feeling... that is, whereas many members for whom English is not their first language may like the idea of seeing the problems written in their native language they feel comfortable enough with translating for themselves or making use of other existing online translators.

In the meantime I suggest that you do not abandon your translation project and you can either offer the current facility in Romanian or you can setup a repository of translated problems on your own website which can be added to and linked to from the main alternative translations thread.

When I have more time on my hands I may initiate some type of poll - from the main website - to gauge opinions on the idea at least of offering alternative translations. However, I am not able to commit to the time-scale of such a promise at the moment due to other more pressing priorities.
impudens simia et macrologus profundus fabulae

TripleM

Re: Completely new Translation of ProjectEuler Problems

Post by TripleM » Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:44 am

My 2 cents:

English is my first language, therefore I will never use this, thus the reason I have no interest in it.

I don't mean that to sound harsh, but that's most likely the reason for nobody replying; anyone that reads this forum or that would work on such a project has no need of a translation in the first place. While it may well help a different audience, there's a lot of work involved, so projects like these only really end up being done by an individual who enjoys doing it for the sake of it. If that's you, I'm sure people would appreciate it, but you'll be hard pressed finding others to help out, at least in such a short time period as between your messages.

SoboLAN

Re: Project Euler in Romanian

Post by SoboLAN » Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:49 am

I have added the Korean language to the Greasemonkey script. Currently, there are only 110 problems in this language; hopefully more will be translated in the future :) .

apscst

Post by apscst » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:43 am

I think the best thing to do is doing nothing. :)

IF you speak english then you do not need any translation
ELSE
-- IF you are a computer science enthusiast/professional you HAVE TO learn english as soon as possible
-- IF you are a mathematician you HAVE TO learn english as soon as possible
q.e.d.

If you are smart enough to solve these problems, then learning English should be piece of cake. And for the sake of your career you need to speak it!

SoboLAN

Post by SoboLAN » Mon May 19, 2014 7:24 pm

I refactored the entire source code of the Project-Euler-Romanian-translations site and I put it up on GitHub, you can check it out here: https://github.com/SoboLAN/projecteuler-ro.

I will do some maintenance work on this source code in the next few weeks because there are some issues I would like to see resolved. Also, I will try to remove some inline CSS code and make use of (A LOT) more HTML5 features.

Anyone is welcome to contribute with whatever you think is good/interesting, I do accept pull-requests of nice features.

Also, and this is really important: If you want, you can take my code and build your own Project-Euler-Translations site. It will take some changes, obviously, but it will be a lot quicker to do than to make a site like this from scratch. This way, if you want to do translations, you can focus on that rather than on the site's code.