Ressources and courses for solving project euler problems

A place to share links to other websites and interesting articles
Creepy_P0ney

Ressources and courses for solving project euler problems

Post by Creepy_P0ney » Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:22 pm

Hey guys, I love solving problems like those we can find on project euler, i can program, that's not a problem, the problem i have is the mathematical background needed, so i would like to know if some of you have some links or tips and tricks to give me.

Thanks

(sorry for my english, i'm french)

Svartskägg

Re: Ressources and courses for solving project euler problem

Post by Svartskägg » Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:54 pm

I don't think you need much specific knowledge about math. What you need in most problems is just doing simple algebraic manipulations on paper. It helps to know some basic concepts of number theory, such as: prime number.
320641_5486fc18ea1dcc4e9a8f29c7677a5c19 <-- my friend key

Creepy_P0ney

Post by Creepy_P0ney » Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:19 pm

Ok, thanks, I'll search for number theory course :p
But I have a last question, how do i store very big numbers in memory such as 100! or the terms of fibonacci sequence when u(n) grows (and it grows really fast). For big numbers (but not as big as 100!) I use the type __int64 (in C)

thundre

Post by thundre » Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:42 pm

Creepy_P0ney wrote:Ok, thanks, I'll search for number theory course :p
But I have a last question, how do i store very big numbers in memory such as 100! or the terms of fibonacci sequence when u(n) grows (and it grows really fast). For big numbers (but not as big as 100!) I use the type __int64 (in C)
There are "big integer" or "arbitrary precision" libraries which can handle very large numbers. But very few PE problems actually require that.

A knowledge of modular arithmetic is useful. If they ask for the last 9 digits of A*B, you only need to know the last 9 digits of A and the last 9 of B and multiply those together, then take the last 9 of that. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modular_arithmetic

vamsikal3

Re: Ressources and courses for solving project euler problems

Post by vamsikal3 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:25 am

I started solving PE problems about 2 and 1/2 years ago. I am also a programmer, not a mathematician, so I could with my current math skills solve about 365 problems. I feel like I have max'd out and any left over problems are beyond my current skill. So I started looking for ways to improve my skill-set to help solve more PE problems. I have hit upon the following two resources which are available at LibGen as PDFs.

1. Elementary Number Theory, 7th edition by David M Burton: https://www.amazon.com/Elementary-Numbe ... 073383147/

2. Elementary Number Theory, 6th Edition by Kenneth H Rosen: https://www.amazon.com/Elementary-Numbe ... 321500318/

Burton's book is more easy, Rosen's book might be more accessible if you have worked through Burton's book first. A lot of theory behind PE problems shows up in these books, a sample being: figurate numbers, greatest common divisor, totients, continued fractions, primitive roots, linear diophantine equations, sum of squares. In fact I was able to solve PE 273 after I read the chapter 13 of Burton's book. I wish I had access to these books 2 and a 1/2 years ago, when I was starting out on PE. Hopefully these books will help PE newbies improve their math skills.
my friend key --> 990813_OZPwQtCjkD6KlvxirOoTSZxccMFsuw1L