Search found 57 matches

by wrongrook
Sat Aug 29, 2020 8:54 pm
Forum: News, Suggestions, and FAQ
Topic: Errors/Warnings/Bugs
Replies: 581
Views: 191969

Re: Errors/Warnings/Bugs

I was using 84.0.4147.135 (Official Build) (64-bit). I've updated to 85.0.4183.83 (Official Build) (64-bit) and get the same problem. There are no messages in the console (even after a refresh of the page). It also fails if I disable all extensions. The Tex displays fine if I display it within this ...
by wrongrook
Sat Aug 29, 2020 11:50 am
Forum: News, Suggestions, and FAQ
Topic: Errors/Warnings/Bugs
Replies: 581
Views: 191969

Re: Errors/Warnings/Bugs

When viewed on Chrome, problems 81 and 82 and 83 have "Math Input Error" instead of the matrix.
by wrongrook
Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:07 am
Forum: Clarifications on Project Euler Problems
Topic: Problem 713
Replies: 19
Views: 4820

Re: Problem 713

T(N,N) = 1 as otherwise the heating system will not be on. The example T(3,2)=3 shows this as well. After two failing tries you will have enough information to conclude that your third try is guaranteed successful, but you still need to try it to ensure the heating system is on.
by wrongrook
Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:12 pm
Forum: Clarifications on Project Euler Problems
Topic: Problem 709 - Even Stevens
Replies: 3
Views: 1375

Re: Problem 709 - Even Stevens

Each time you need to either place the new bag inside the cupboard empty, or place bags inside the new bag.

This means that your example 7 is invalid because in step D you cannot put bags into bag 1 (as it is not the new bag).
by wrongrook
Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:11 pm
Forum: Clarifications on Project Euler Problems
Topic: Problem 709 - Even Stevens
Replies: 3
Views: 1375

Re: Problem 709 - Even Stevens

Packaging 2 and 4 are built up in different ways. 2 comes from: A) place bag 1 inside B) place bag 2 inside C) place 1 and 2 in bag 3 D) place bag 4 inside 4 comes from: A) place bag 1 inside B) place bag 2 inside C) place bag 3 inside D) place bag 1 and 2 in bag 4 In other words, you are right that...
by wrongrook
Sun Apr 12, 2020 8:47 am
Forum: Clarifications on Project Euler Problems
Topic: Problem 710
Replies: 14
Views: 3588

Re: Problem 710

(2,16,2) is a twopal for 20 (tuple is palindromic and 2 is present).

(4,12,4) is not (no element equal to 2).

(20) is not (no element equal to 2).

SNIP - code removed
by wrongrook
Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:40 pm
Forum: Discrete Mathematics
Topic: Finding shortest subarray with given value: many queries
Replies: 2
Views: 7307

Finding shortest subarray with given value: many queries

Background I came across this interesting stack overflow question: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/47111546/finding-smallest-subarray-lengths-for-given-multiple-queries#comment81192683_47111546 Question There is an array n = 1 million in length containing positive integers. There are also n = 1...
by wrongrook
Sun Feb 21, 2016 1:12 pm
Forum: Clarifications on Project Euler Problems
Topic: Problem 548
Replies: 5
Views: 3340

Problem 548

Can you also give the value for g(1)?

I am not sure from the problem statement whether g(1) should be 0 or 1?
by wrongrook
Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:40 pm
Forum: News, Suggestions, and FAQ
Topic: Errors/Warnings/Bugs
Replies: 581
Views: 191969

Re: Errors/Warnings/Bugs

I've just enjoyed solving problem 459 (after a year and a bit) but noticed a slightly curious thing when looking to see how quickly others had managed to solve it: The fastest solvers list for Problem 459 only mentions 61 people, while the archives page lists 114 people as having solved it. Is this ...
by wrongrook
Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:20 pm
Forum: Game Theory
Topic: Optimal strategy for a game on a binary tree
Replies: 0
Views: 8322

Optimal strategy for a game on a binary tree

I have been struggling to solve a problem from CodeForces involving the optimal strategy for a two player game played on a tree. (This is a problem from a finished contest - but no editorial has been published yet as far as I can see.) I have put a description of the problem on Stack Overflow http:/...
by wrongrook
Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:37 pm
Forum: News, Suggestions, and FAQ
Topic: Where's my badge? :)
Replies: 12
Views: 5608

Re: Where's my badge? :)

Incidentally, I notice that I have now lost my perfection badge :(

I guess the system spotted I have been getting lazy recently and not attempting many problems...
by wrongrook
Sat Dec 28, 2013 1:59 pm
Forum: News, Suggestions, and FAQ
Topic: Credits for Authors of problems
Replies: 7
Views: 4427

Credits for Authors of problems

I was just wondering whether it would be good to note somewhere who suggested each problem? It might show a bit of appreciation to those able to come up with the problems, and solvers might be able to start recognising the names of problem setters whose questions they enjoy, perhaps helping them whe...
by wrongrook
Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:50 pm
Forum: News, Suggestions, and FAQ
Topic: Posting solutions outside of Project Euler's site
Replies: 25
Views: 16341

Re: Posting solutions outside of Project Euler's site

For what it's worth, I would prefer there not be such limits before people can solve recent problems. If I recommend Project Euler to someone who wants to learn a new language then I suggest starting from the easiest problems, but if someone just wants to have fun and play with solving some mathemat...
by wrongrook
Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:09 pm
Forum: Clarifications on Project Euler Problems
Topic: problem 394
Replies: 7
Views: 3826

Re: problem 394

I wonder if you are thinking about the problem like a game where Jeff is choosing where to make the cuts? In this case you are correct, and Jeff can "win" the game on his first move by cutting off most of the cake. However, this is not the intention of the problem. It is better to think of...
by wrongrook
Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:00 am
Forum: Recreational
Topic: Have you written a program to write a program?
Replies: 7
Views: 6160

Re: Have you written a program to write a program?

I use this kind of metaprogramming quite often when I need to write in hardware description languages (such as Verilog or VHDL) because these languages are relatively verbose. However, my preferred direction is opposite to yours - I tend to write Python code to generate the RTL output. I find my met...
by wrongrook
Sat May 19, 2012 9:10 pm
Forum: Applied Mathematics
Topic: Physics Problem
Replies: 4
Views: 10099

Re: Physics Problem

One argument is that air resistance will increase non-linearly with speed, so the ball going through the trough might be expected to be faster and meet with more air resistance, and come out slower.

However, this is likely to be a negligible effect so probably the proper answer is something else?
by wrongrook
Sun May 13, 2012 8:54 pm
Forum: News, Suggestions, and FAQ
Topic: how to add the solution
Replies: 1
Views: 3172

Re: how to add the solution

Welcome! In Project Euler you just need to submit the numerical answer not the code. Type the answer you found in the box labelled Answer. Type the 5 digit number shown in the image in the box labelled Confirmation Code. Press the Check button. You will then get a green tick (if the answer is right)...
by wrongrook
Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:46 pm
Forum: Resources
Topic: Resources for Programming Competitions?
Replies: 4
Views: 11693

Re: Resources for Programming Competitions?

There are some good tutorial articles at http://community.topcoder.com/tc?module=Static&d1=tutorials&d2=alg_index . It is also worth reading the editorials for past competitions as these contain worked solutions for all their competition problems. http://apps.topcoder.com/wiki/display/tc/Alg...
by wrongrook
Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:37 pm
Forum: Clarifications on Project Euler Problems
Topic: Problem 376
Replies: 21
Views: 8521

Re: problem 376 clarification

I also misread the question initially so here is a clarification that would have helped me and I hope is not considered to spoil the question. Suppose A has a probability of 20% of winning, and a probability of 10% of losing, and there is a 70% probability of a draw. In this case A does NOT have a >...
by wrongrook
Sat Dec 31, 2011 7:15 pm
Forum: Clarifications on Project Euler Problems
Topic: Problem 050
Replies: 42
Views: 18867

Re: Project 50

The sum does not have to start with 2.

e.g. 7+11+13 = 31 would be another example.