What kinda math should i know?

A place to air possible concerns or difficulties in understanding ProjectEuler problems. This forum is not meant to publish solutions. This forum is NOT meant to discuss solution methods or giving hints how a problem can be solved.
Forum rules
As your posts will be visible to the general public you
are requested to be thoughtful in not posting anything
that might explicitly give away how to solve a particular problem.

This forum is NOT meant to discuss solution methods for a problem.

In particular don't post any code fragments or results.

Don't start begging others to give partial answers to problems

Don't ask for hints how to solve a problem

Don't start a new topic for a problem if there already exists one

See also the topics:
Don't post any spoilers
Comments, questions and clarifications about PE problems.
MrYuri

What kinda math should i know?

Post by MrYuri »

What kind of math should i know for these questions? ive done a few but now they seem to include math that i dont know.
So what should i learn?
pjt33

Re: What kinda math should i know?

Post by pjt33 »

"Elementary number theory" will help with an awful lot of them. "Enumerative combinatorics" is also a popular topic. It helps to be able to recognise a Markov process and know how to analyse it with linear algebra. There are plenty of probability questions, so you'll need to know what expectation is and techniques for calculating it.

Also, if you read the threads which you unlock when you solve a problem, the techniques which people mention are often key to solving later problems in the same area.
Tomdraug

Re: What kinda math should i know?

Post by Tomdraug »

It is excellent question. Also answer is interesting.

I’m a developer with technical university background and I have just discovered this delightfully frightening site. I solved problem 41 easily and I started another one, 731.

This is nightmare. I don’t even know how to approach it, ie what book I need, how to write anything in one of 20+ languages I know :)
I know what infinite series is and all the notation, but the problem is far harder that that.

All in all - it will be nice journey :)
——————————————————————————————-
I solved 731 lol