Meetup of all hard-core users who solved above X number of problems?

Announcements, comments, ideas, feedback, and "How do I... ?" questions
rEli

Meetup of all hard-core users who solved above X number of problems?

Post by rEli »

Hello,

I was wondering what do you think of initiating a meet up between all users of the community in a specific country that solved more than a specific number of problems (maybe 100 would be a nice cut off). I think we have a lot in common (spending so much time solving more than a 100 problem in project euler!) and it would be very fun (and also beneficial to make new friends, and perhaps even find new jobs!) to meet. If it would work well we could also do it more in the future.

I don't know perhaps this already happens, but if not please think about it! I think it would be best if it would be official and an email will be sent to all users with above the certain threshold.
v6ph1

Re: Meetup of all hard-core users who solved above X number of problems?

Post by v6ph1 »

Meetings are not a clever idea this year.

Two countries have not published any cases - Turkmenistan and North Korea.
And according to the statistics, meetings there would be save as there are only one (North Korea) respectively two (Turkmenistan) members with more than 100 problems solved.

Otherwise the next question will be, how many meetings of members do we approximately need to infect 80% with COVID 19? :wink:

For my country (Germany), a meeting of all members with more than 100 problems solved would be an invitation to 622 people.

For sure, the idea of such a meeting - maybe combined with some math/coding workshops is a great idea - but for 2022 and not 2020...
jfreiberg

Post by jfreiberg »

I agree that this is not the time for such an event, but would definitely be interested in such an event in the future.
rEli

Post by rEli »

What do you think of arranging a zoom meeting to chat this weekend? I'm personally based on the UK and I can ask some of my other real-life project Euler friends as well if they're interested. it's gonna be extremely awkward haha but it'd be interesting to talk, hear about your experiences, what do you do, your thoughts about project euler, and so on.

I'm personally actually retired, I solved 200 problems back in high-school (over 7 years ago). My only other friend who solves Project Euler had started with me in high-school and actually continues to solve them until today (he's at around 400 at the moment), so I can ask him as well if he'd want to come.

If anyone is interested, let me know, would be interesting for sure haha. If it would go well perhaps we could eventually try to arrange a stronger community around this incredible website! I feel like this website is such a considerable hobby for so many people (I used to do it for hours every day), and yet the community aspect is relatively low, which I think is unfortunate because socializing with similar-minded people is one of the best things about hobbies in my opinion!